A snake bit my chicken's neck... and she may have eaten the snake afterward. (Photos included)

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
My mom was watching my chickens free range while I was cleaning one of the cages, and Helga found a snake. My mom says it was about six inches or so long, and one of the chickens was running with it dangling out of her beak while all the other chickens were chasing her down trying to take it from her. (Didn't realize snakes were considered a delicacy... 🤪) We couldn't find the snake, so we assume she may have eaten it. 😬 I didn't notice anything wrong that evening - it was almost time for roosting and since no one seemed to have swelling at the time, I thought it was okay. But Helga looked like this the next day:

IMG_8580.JPG

After getting some photos, she let out this big pile of poo:

IMG_8585.JPG

She also laid an egg that day. (I put the egg in with the others, I guess it's okay to eat that egg? I didn't think much of it at the time. 😬 )

That night, it started draining, so I wasn't as concerned. I hoped it was the poison / infection draining out. I've had dogs get bitten and they recovered but it took a while for swelling to go down. (Later, our vet gave me cephalexin and told me to get some Benadryl and that worked wonders, but that was for a dog, not a chicken. I didn't give her anything because I didn't know if chickens could take the same thing and didn't want to hurt her.)

IMG_8596.JPG

Then today, her waddle is changing colors and sizes (sorry Helga for the first image here, I know it makes you look pure evil, but this was the best shot):

IMG_8608.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

She didn't eat much today. I'm hoping she drank some. Her spunk is mostly there but she is tired and doesn't feel like doing much. She picks up pieces of food slowly and then drops them like it's painful for her to eat right now. Is there anything I can do to help her or will she recover on her own? Also... if she ate the snake, will she be able to digest it? 😬

You can give Cephalexin and Benadryl to a chicken. Use Children's Benadryl, dosage is 1/2ml orally once a day. Dont overdose with The Benadryl and wait a full 24 hours before giving a second dose. Use a syringe to administer it orally.
Give the Cephalexin twice daily if it's 250mg, once daily if it's 500mg.

You can give Cephalexin and Benadryl to a chicken. Use Children's Benadryl, dosage is 1/2ml orally once a day. Dont overdose with The Benadryl and wait a full 24 hours before giving a second dose. Use a syringe to administer it orally.
Give the Cephalexin twice daily if it's 250mg, once daily if it's 500mg.
I'm familiar with how to use a syringe to get meds down a cat, but how do you get a chicken to open up? Any tips? Also, because of where the bite is, I don't want to hurt her trying to get her beak open. 😅

Thank you, I have both on hand. Hopefully she's okay with the dye-free bubblegum flavor...

Do you think I need to get rid of her last egg and not eat it? Or was that egg already formed from before she got bit and it was laid the next morning?

With geese I’ve had luck placing my hand over the top of the head and pressing my fingers against the corners of the mouth just firmly enough that the pressure causes them to open their mouth.
I use my other hand to open the mouth and insert the syringe to the furthest right side of the mouth to administer meds, it absolutely can’t go down the left side, of it does it will get into her lungs.
It might help to pin her between your legs, or wrap her up like a burrito and pin her between your legs if she’s uncoperative.

Here’s an excellent article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

With geese I’ve had luck placing my hand over the top of the head and pressing my fingers against the corners of the mouth just firmly enough that the pressure causes them to open their mouth.
I use my other hand to open the mouth and insert the syringe to the furthest right side of the mouth to administer meds, it absolutely can’t go down the left side, of it does it will get into her lungs.
It might help to pin her between your legs, or wrap her up like a burrito and pin her between your legs if she’s uncoperative.

Here’s an excellent article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you!! 💕

The swelling is gone, and her appetite is back. It looks like she might lose part of her waddle, but she seems to be almost normal. She even pecked someone on the head yesterday. 😊

Back
Top Bottom