A strange change in our Cockatiel.....?

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
This is random but, I've noticed a big change in our Cockatiel, Moss. So for everyone who has had experience with Cockatiels (or not), please let me know what you think.
frow.gif

My mom bought bought Moss (along with his brother, Brady) in December, 2008 as a family Christmas gift from some people who smoked a lot and hadn't handled them at all. They were both 3 years old at the time. They were both aggressive and frightened of everyone. They would let me hand feed them, but would bite really hard and hiss/scream at me when I put my hand near them.
After about 2-3 years of the being with us, Brady somehow managed to get out last Summer and flew away.
sad.png
We never saw him again. We worried that since Moss had lived with him for so long and they were brothers (or at least that's what the people who owned them said), he would be depressed and lonely. But my mom didn't want to buy another friend for him at the time.
For the months after that and until just recently, Moss seemed fine. At times he was lonely, but my siblings and I gave him a lot of attention and he got a lot of time outside his cage (just last year sometime he actually sat on my finger without biting me, so now he comes outside of his cage).

Yesterday when I came back from my dad's house, Moss seemed different; he was pacing back and forth excitedly on his perch in his cage, whistling and calling to any sounds he heard that sounded like a bird. Usually when I don't see him for a while and come back, he doesn't act excited. He just acts normal. But now when I reached into his cage, he flapped his wings and climbed along the cage, then hopped onto my finger. He has never done that before!
ep.gif
I have always had to use his wooden ladder to take him out of his cage because he would bite me really hard if I tried to get him on my finger.
When I took him out, he sat on my finger and started preening as usual. But suddenly he lowered his head and held it that way. I've seen him make this gesture to Brady once and a while, and it meant he wanted him to preen his head. So, I gently started rubbing his head with the tip of my finger. And he actually let me!
ep.gif
He tilted his head and closed his eyes, obviously enjoying it. This was the first time since we had bought him and Brady that he let me do this. Before he bit me even if I tried to touch his head. Now he was willingly letting me "preen" his head with my finger?
lol.png
I'm guessing that this is showing trust and affection because he used to only let Brady do it once and a while because he knew him.

Today he let me preen his head again. He still nips at my fingers once and a while and he will hiss and screech at me when I put my hand in his cage, but I'm still surprised that he let me preen his head.
wee.gif

So I was wondering, anyone have any idea why such a sudden change has come over him??? I'm thinking maybe he's finally becoming lonely and misses the attention and company Brady sometimes gave him. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
smile.png

P.S. we are thinking about bringing him to my dad's house because he has a bunch of Parakeets that Moss might get along with. That way he may not be so lonely, even though he gets plenty of attention from us (in fact right now my sister has him sitting on her shoulder watching TV).
roll.png

Aww! thats so good! Keep it up! He wants attention from you! Cockatiels are VERY social birds..they NEED alot of attention. Aww! He likes you..
love.gif

Also..i wouldnt put him in with other birds again...you'll see that he'll stay more friendly to you that way....otherwise they bond with the other birds and not their humans.

Quote:
OK thanks!
smile.png
That's kinda what I was thinking but I'm worried he will get too lonely. Aren't Cockatiels flock birds? But then I think that he does get a lot of attention from my siblings and I, and maybe he sees us as his "flock".
smile.png

Hello,
Have his wings ever been clipped? If so, and you know how to do that...I would clip him. He wants your attention and company. Clipping his wings will not only keep him safe but, it will make him less flighty...and less nippy. I agee about keeping him with you and your family and not flighted with other birds. Good luck!

Yeah, he's bonded to you.

I started with one male cockatiel and he would whistle amazing grace and let me pet him....He got older and then acted lonely so I got a female....He no longer let me touch him or talked to me....He used to call me pretty pretty.....

Well, so I had the reverse happen ....Enjoy the new love!!!!!

Have a blessed day!

jojo@rolling acres farm :

Hello,
Have his wings ever been clipped? If so, and you know how to do that...I would clip him. He wants your attention and company. Clipping his wings will not only keep him safe but, it will make him less flighty...and less nippy. I agee about keeping him with you and your family and not flighted with other birds. Good luck!

On a bird that was wild and you are just seeing the fruits of your labor do not clip his wings yourself, you will lose his trust again. It is best to have someone else that he is not bonded to do the cutting.​

That's a very exciting change! I've heard that when cockatiels have a bird companion they don't bond to humans, so it just sounds like he has transitioned.

I clip my cockatiel's wings all the time. He hates it, but it doesn't affect how he feels about me. He squawks while it's happening but is just fine afterwards. You might give him a treat he especially likes after clipping his wings. Just make sure you don't get any blood feathers when you clip, and have that stuff on hand that stems the bleeding in case you do accidentally get a blood feather. Cockatiels don't have a lot of blood, so they can't afford to lose very much.

Enjoy him!

I agree that I wouldn't send him with other birds. He has chosen you as his flock member. This is a very big sign of acceptance on a cockatiel or any parrots part. The aggression at you putting your hand on his cage is very common. Cage aggression is common in parrots of all kinds.

I would continue to work with him like you are. I've had parrots for just about 30 years, (my oldest parrot will be 30 on January 28th). I am still mystified and amazed at times.

Good luck with him and continue to bond with him. I've known cockatiels that have lived 17 years!

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom