A surprise visitor on the roof of the coop!

katiek

Songster
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Wildwood, GA
I went out this morning to check on the chickens and let them out of their coop.

I heard something loud moving on the tin roof of the chicken coop. We've been having a lot of pest problems, so thinking it was a possum or racoon, I ran outside to see what it could be.

It was a peacock!
ep.gif

How random is that? Where did it come from? I live on 850 acre farm. My nearest neighbors are a mile away.

It flew from the top of the coop to a nearby tree and is sitting there watching the chickens. I threw some scratch at the bottom of the tree for it.

I want to adopt it. What do peacocks eat? Why is it here? Is it a threat to my chickens?

I'll try to get a picture.

Thanks,
Katie

OoooOOOooh! Well I'm thinking...since it's sitting there watching your chickens, it came from a nearby farm where it lived among the chickens. It knows the chickens are going to get fed and it must be hungry. Maybe it escaped from a pen or maybe it just took a day trip?

Enjoy it while you can!

I have had peacocks escape as chicks over the years and have a visiting pair right now it is an amasing sight I would suggest you feed him and leave him alone he probably has a mate and will bring her when he knows its safe there is nothing more impressive than seeing a wild pair.

Quote:
I bet!!! However the reason I think she should capture this bird and (if it was me) clip his flight feathers) is because the US is not the wild location for peacocks after all. LOL.

But they are hardy here and will survive well in the wild If this bird has been out for any amount of time it would be very stressful to pen him ours have entered the pens in the evening and been shut in inadvertinly and were up pacing all night so I am more careful now

He's probably feral.....I know there is a feral population roaming Hunterdon County, NJ....lol There was one on my parents' neighbors' deck a couple years ago...showed up out of nowhere in a fairly residential area (wooded...but still residential) with no known peacock keepers around. It may or may not have been part of the aformentioned feral population....but it was after that incident that we discovered that there was a feral population.

Back
Top Bottom