A turtle hatch!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Raptorchick, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Raptorchick

Raptorchick Songster

May 21, 2018
    Near Jackson, CA
    Just to share a different kind of hatching story :jumpy:D...
    My mother and I have been building aquaponics systems in her urban backyard the past five years or so. She is all about teaching kids/people how to farm in the city and live 'sustainably', thus we had a few nice big koi aquaponic tanks. One day, I came over and she said, "I'm doing turtle-ponics!" Basically, she brought home a couple of turtles, built a pond with a sand beach that connected to one of the aquaponics, and put a tiny white picket fence around the whole thing. It was inside of a greenhouse, like a cozy little turtle shack. Very cute. She had two turtles and they LOVED it. Fast forward to today- she's moving soon, and thankfully found good homes for all of her chickens, fish, aquaponics, and turtles. I'm helping her dig up the turtle pond, when I see what looks like a tiny turtle, in the dirt ! :eek:Call us no good, irresponsible, ugly, very bad people, but we didn't know that red slider turtles will lay eggs in the dirt/sand. I never imagined we owned lovebirds, or that babies were possible in the turtle-hutch. We called some friends that know turtles better than us, and ended up finding 9 little guys in the sand. They're so stinking cute !!! :loveIts blowing my mind... I've been paranoid over my egg incubation the past 15 days, and these guys manage to hatch out on their own under the craziest circumstances. All 9 of them have already been called for at really good homes; I'm gonna miss our tiny turtle family :rolleyes::frow

2. Michellep224

Michellep224 Songster

Jul 1, 2018
    Virginia
    Awww! I LOVE turtles!
    Our family has 3 eastern painted turtles in a large indoor aquarium.
    Do you have any pictures? ^_^

3. Raptorchick

Raptorchick Songster

May 21, 2018
    Near Jackson, CA
    Yas! Here's a couple of the little guys 556915510.jpg 20180825_194916.jpg :)

4. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
  5. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    Woiw:love:woot

drumstick diva and Raptorchick like this.
  6. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Eek I love baby turtles! What a fun surprise! Thank goodness they hatched and you found them when you did.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    You weren't trying to breed turtles, you were trying to provide a good habitat for them. By sheer luck, you had a pair; the fact that they bred proves how good a job you did!:clap

A couple of months ago, I found a female box turtle laying eggs on the foot path leading to our greenhouse. With all the predators we have around here, I was pretty sure they would just get dug up and eaten, so we put the three eggs in a large jar with some dirt and leaves. No idea how they are doing, but it's possible I might have some tiny turtle pics to post myself in a month or so.:fl

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Aww, how cute! Sounds like they really loved their home! We have a snapping turtle that comes up to our farm every year and lays her eggs. I haven't seen any hatch this year but last year managed to find 2 of the little cuties...and boy are they strong and fast!

drumstick diva and Raptorchick like this.
  9. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    Aww that’s so cute! :lol: Baby turtles are adorable. They grow up pretty fast, I have two yellow bellied sliders in a temporary 20gal tank, but soon they’ll be too big for it!
    :love

Raptorchick and drumstick diva like this.
  10. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    turtle one.gif
    Congrats! On the new baby turtles! So adorable!!! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: