A visual - adult chickens in Producer’s Pride Sentinel Coop

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
Just wanted to share pics for people who need a visual of how many adult medium-large sized chickens ~really~ fit in this coop.

My chickens do not live in this, they have a 8x8 shed converted into a coop with an attached 7x18 (ish?) run. We do keep this coop around because it is in our back yard where they”free range”. The door to this coop stays open and it serves as a place to lay when they’re in the back yard and to run for shelter if they see a hawk. I think it would be a great isolation ward, too.

It was a good grow out coop for them but as you can see from the size, it would not be large enough to keep them in as adults. As they grew only 2 would roost inside and only 2 outside - meaning it was too crowded for them all to roost inside.

I had a hard time finding pics of adult chickens in this coop when we got these ladies, so I hope this can help someone.
IMG_8363.jpeg
IMG_6178.jpeg
IMG_8364.jpeg
IMG_6756.jpeg
IMG_6754.jpeg

That looks like an okay place for a breeding pair
I don’t know much about breeding, so I can’t say. I wouldn’t be opposed to putting 2 chickens in here if they needed to be separated for some reason.
Nice post! Shows the reality of those prefab coops that "can fit 10 chickens!" We have a prefab sort of similar to that one and use it as a grow out pen/nursery/jail/broody hut.
I did like it as a grow out. I felt it was secure enough in our backyard and it kept them dry when they were little during a monsoon rain one night. It has a purpose, just not what it is sold as necessarily!

Just wanted to share pics for people who need a visual of how many adult medium-large sized chickens ~really~ fit in this coop.

My chickens do not live in this, they have a 8x8 shed converted into a coop with an attached 7x18 (ish?) run. We do keep this coop around because it is in our back yard where they”free range”. The door to this coop stays open and it serves as a place to lay when they’re in the back yard and to run for shelter if they see a hawk. I think it would be a great isolation ward, too.

It was a good grow out coop for them but as you can see from the size, it would not be large enough to keep them in as adults. As they grew only 2 would roost inside and only 2 outside - meaning it was too crowded for them all to roost inside.

I had a hard time finding pics of adult chickens in this coop when we got these ladies, so I hope this can help someone.
View attachment 3607132View attachment 3607134View attachment 3607133View attachment 3607135View attachment 3607136
Oh I like that roost bar idea in the pen. I might have to steal that for my 3

Thanks! They actually used that pretty often when they were little. One of them jumped up and sat there for a moment today, now that I think of it :)
Two of mine have the one that came with it for the interior, but they could always use one in the pen too. I know my birds in my grey prefab use their run roost a lot

Back
Top Bottom