A visual - adult chickens in Producer’s Pride Sentinel Coop

Just wanted to share pics for people who need a visual of how many adult medium-large sized chickens ~really~ fit in this coop.

My chickens do not live in this, they have a 8x8 shed converted into a coop with an attached 7x18 (ish?) run. We do keep this coop around because it is in our back yard where they”free range”. The door to this coop stays open and it serves as a place to lay when they’re in the back yard and to run for shelter if they see a hawk. I think it would be a great isolation ward, too.

It was a good grow out coop for them but as you can see from the size, it would not be large enough to keep them in as adults. As they grew only 2 would roost inside and only 2 outside - meaning it was too crowded for them all to roost inside.

I had a hard time finding pics of adult chickens in this coop when we got these ladies, so I hope this can help someone.
View attachment 3607132View attachment 3607134View attachment 3607133View attachment 3607135View attachment 3607136
Thank you for sharing this! A visual of just how much space a full-grown chicken should have. I wish that the sellers of pre-made coups would be honest and forthright about their products. I am sure there are a lot of new chicken keepers out there that agree with this too. I just finished getting my pullets into the coup that I built because I couldn't find a coup that I could afford that was adequate for my needs. I have the run to finish and some finishing touches, but my ladies are very happy with their home. in the 110 temps this week (extremely uncommon in our area) I even popped in a very small AC unit I had to keep them a little cooler down to 80. It fit in my Poop Door, which was a bonus.

Attachments

• IMG_9523.JPG
    IMG_9523.JPG
    613.4 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for sharing this! A visual of just how much space a full-grown chicken should have. I wish that the sellers of pre-made coups would be honest and forthright about their products. I am sure there are a lot of new chicken keepers out there that agree with this too. I just finished getting my pullets into the coup that I built because I couldn't find a coup that I could afford that was adequate for my needs. I have the run to finish and some finishing touches, but my ladies are very happy with their home. in the 110 temps this week (extremely uncommon in our area) I even popped in a very small AC unit I had to keep them a little cooler down to 80. It fit in my Poop Door, which was a bonus.
Thank you, I agree. It was difficult for us to find a picture of adults in this coop. It’s very misleading to brand new chicken owners. Plus you get a lot of different information from everyone everywhere about what is right and wrong for them. Sometimes it can be hard to decide what’s the best. Glad you were able to keep your flock a little cooler. The high temps have been awful this year.

Hey! That was our first coop!. Now it's our hospital/maternity/time-out coop. Be very religious about getting snow off the roof or it'll be shot in 4 years (an easy fix, but still...).
Super smart perch idea too.
Oh good to know, I will be more diligent about that this year. Thank you!

I bought one of those for one of my ladies. Thought would be bigger because of the # of chickens it should hold. She fits nicely by herself. I put her in a larger run during the day with a couple other birds and put her back to sleep by herself at night. After two years I had to replace the roof, too. Overall, it works for the one lady. She likes her own space and it is right for her, but yeah. Nice visual on how many it actually holds.

I bought one of those for one of my ladies. Thought would be bigger because of the # of chickens it should hold. She fits nicely by herself. I put her in a larger run during the day with a couple other birds and put her back to sleep by herself at night. After two years I had to replace the roof, too. Overall, it works for the one lady. She likes her own space and it is right for her, but yeah. Nice visual on how many it actually holds.
Yes, I think it’s ideal for one. Perfect for isolation.

Hi! I'm new here and just built this same coop. I've noticed my chickens seem to slide on the slick pull-out tray. I have pine shavings in there at the moment but it just slides with them. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom