Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggg!!!!

I had wolf dogs in my yard the other day, I had animal control come out and they said i have the right to protect my property and animals against the dogs. I'm glad I know that now b/c next time I'm bringin out the 22. They smell my chickens and want under my fence. The neighbors were cited for having dogs roaming at large and for no rabies records for that address. Hope you get that problem fixed soon! -Nathan

Best thing is prevention --- electric netting around your poultry area, and/or a livestock guardian dog.

Last time Animal Control wouldn't do anything about a neighbor's attack-trained dogs being on my property as clients arrived (after all - they hadn't actually maimed anyone yet), I called the Sheriff and asked why there had to be a tragedy before something was done about the dogs (I used a child as an example). The problem was taken care of immediately.

I call Animal Control/Police each time I have a stray dog stalking my animals, and once it was a pitbull that held us all hostage in my barn for several hours. I just kept calling them on my cell phone every 30 minutes asking for help.

Other people have responded to the same problem by shooting the dog with a paintball (I don't have access to one), but it MIGHT get the point across, should you be able to borrow one.

Good luck,

Rachel, TX

The only problem with shooting the dog is living in the city. Even if it's legal to shoot the dog causing trouble, it might not be legal to shoot a gun in the city limits. Conflicting laws are a B.
Some jurisdictions have "issues" with using a paintgun on them too, seems like they think it's "animal abuse" although killing chickens must not be
roll.png
Just check the laws before you get into trouble.

Anyway, I deal by trapping the preds (coons and cats mostly) and shooting after dark. Nobody notices a .22 shot only once, especially in a hick town.
Problem is that a Great Dane is about the size of a small horse. Not many ways of trapping it, except leg holds and many people don't use those because of the obvious risks.

I think the OP is gonna have to light a fire under the AC's butt.
Also small claims court - hit 'em (the owners) hard in the wallet!

Quote:
.22 isn't enough fire power to reliably take a dog down. You might be close enough or lucky enough to make a clean kill, but your more likely to have a wounded animal go off to die a slow death, or possibly cause harm to a person in it's injured state. Anything that would work for a deer gun should be enough to take down a dog.

Quote:
.22 isn't enough fire power to reliably take a dog down. You might be close enough or lucky enough to make a clean kill, but your more likely to have a wounded animal go off to die a slow death, or possibly cause harm to a person in it's injured state. Anything that would work for a deer gun should be enough to take down a dog.

Perhaps you are just a bad shot.

Plenty of deer are taken with .22's every year.

Problem lies with the nearness of the neighbors in the city.

Check out your local ordinances as to what you would legally have the right to do. If it would be legal to shoot a livestock-killing dog, let the neighbors know this. If there are puppies in their household, they may be breeding this dog, and not want to lose that valuable commodity. If they do not take that seriously, itemize everything out carefully, and gather whatever evidence you can, and pursue them in court. Let them know that it is more expensive to raise a bird, plus the emotional involvement, than they may realize. Let them know you are serious, and that you will pursue the matter.
As for paintball guns, if you really feel you can get away with it without them knowing for sure that you were the one that did it, then that may be a serious plan. If you hit their dog, and they can prove (somehow) that it was you that did it, you may run afoul of animal abuse enforcement and be fined.
Strong security and loss prevention in your yard is of primary importance.

When i was frowing up my dad did not like to kill the neigbors dogs. When they got in with our pigs or cattle, he use to take the shot out of a shotgun shell, take the lead out and load it with rock salt. I know that had to burn like crazy when it got under the skin but we never had a problem with the same dog twice.

Quote:

Perhaps you are just a bad shot.

Plenty of deer are taken with .22's every year.

Problem lies with the nearness of the neighbors in the city.

Ouch!

No, I'm a pretty decent, though not excelent shot. I really dislike the idea of wounded animals though. If I use a .22 for a 50-100 yard shot, chances are good that I'll wound rather then kill cleanly. I use the .270 and don't need to worry about it. As far as neighbors, go I was responding to nathhowe, not the op and they didn't mention close neighbors.

If a .22 has worked well for you in the past for similar situations that is great. I like a bit more gun for predator control.

Shoot the dog. If I had a dog eating my birds, I wouldn't hesitate to whip out the 30-30. I have a lot of money invested in my livestock and definently wouldn't turn my head the other way. If you don't nip this in the bud, I guarantee he will be back tomorrow night to get another easy meal. What about buckshot?

Last edited:
Quote:
Rachel, dont feel bad, it took five days for Animal Control to come out here, I only called once. I think the more you call them the more they dislike you and put you off for another day. They brought me a HUGE humane trap for the wolf dogs and all I've caught is a stray cat, which I let back go. (Stray cats always get one chance with me, second time I drive them far far away)

Really with the 22, I think it would do the job quick I woud never want to find out but surely one or two hits in the right spot will bring em down. OK I'm done talking about shooting dogs
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom