Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggg!!!!

If the owners deny that their dog is responsible, inform them that you have set a large leg hold trap and you are so glad that it wont be their dog that gets caught. That should get their attention.

If this is your first brush with predators, even a dog, it will not likely be your last. If you can fence them in with an electric perimeter wire it can make all the difference in the world.

I am so sorry your having to deal with this. It is rediculous. The dog needs to be contained on its own property.
Now todays episode really sucks because from the sounds of your last post, it is speculation on what happened. You did not see the culprit from the sounds of the post.
You most definately need to make the area more secure and free ranging seems like it needs to stop until you have something better for them.
Keep a log like the others are telling you. Take pictures and if you catch him in action take pictures of that to. Keep calling animal control and document everything and have proof handy. Sometimes you need to be a very squeaky wheel to get people to pay attention to you. Also, make sure you are in the city guidlines and your chicken outfit is 100% what is allowed in your area.
Do not poison the dog or anything like that as you could end up killing more animals then just him. Paint ball idea is good also. And poison is a torturous way to die.
I have a horible problem with stray dogs in my neighborhood. I only have a 4 ' fense. When my chickens free range in my yard, I am home and I put out one or both of my cocker spaniels out with them. Do they protect the flock from stray dogs? No. But they do sound the alarm if there is a dog, cat, or human around. That gives me time to get outside and see what needs to be done. I am sure next summer when my german shepherd puppy is older I will be able to leave her out to protect them. But, I still will be home while they are loose.
I am very sorry again for the loose of your feathered freinds. Secure their run while fighting the rest of the battle.

The lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

The only way to protect yourself from a dog allowed to roam and destroy is ELECTRIC FENCE.
I can understand not wanting to shoot the dog with anything other than a paintball gun.
Get a good electric fence and he and other predators will not get your babies again.
So sorry for your loss.

Just take picture of dog/video. Call animal control. Most places have a point system. After dog gets certain amount of points, usually 3 the dog will be removed from owners. Points come with fines. Once you have a report on file, the people have to pay for the damages from thier dog. You can file a small claim against them. You don't need to shoot the dog as some people suggest because that doesn't solve the real problem: owners. Make'em pay and they will fence and/or loose thier dog. TRhe owners don't have to agree that the dog did the damage for you to sucessfully sue them for restitution. All you have to do is gather your own evidence and present it to the court. You can even ask for court fees. For evidence reasons, photos, eyewitnesses and police/animal control reports will win the case for you. I urge you to try it. Nothing gets people serious like hitting them in the wallet and the inconvenience of going to court.

Quote:
I did catch the dog with bird in mouth!! I chased him off and grabbed the bird and followed him back to his house.I could never kill a dog ..even if it did kill my pets..I am just not that person. They will be paying for the dead birds..but I can never get those birds back.

Have you ever tried pepper spray? It works well on dogs as a deterrent. If you get it all over their coat it's even better because it burns them when they try to lick it off. I can imagine the owner trying to clean it off his dog.....you might get 2 for one!!!!! I have heard of people using skunk scent in much the same way.

Quote:
Hate to disagree with fancbrd4me02 but shooting the dog will solve the problem with this dog. All the other legal remedies will take time. In the meantime the whole flock could be lost if she(?) can't prevent the dogs entry to her property. And the dog owners fail to contain their dog. If that's possible then great, problem solved until legal action can be effected. I certainly wouldn't shoot a dog unless all other means fail. Then to me, what's the difference between a pet dog dying compared to a whole flock of pet chickens? It wouldn't be her (siz8003) fault but rather the dog owners.

Shooting the dog is a quick fix. The problem is that if owners are not held responsible especially financially this will continue. Yeah you can shoot the dog but you havn't resolved the problem or set a standard. Also, shooting the dog is a last resort only after you have done all the things I mentioned. if the dog is there massacring you have the opp to videotape it and punish some people or you can take the easy way out and shoot the dog. Personally I like punishing bad people whenever I get a chance. I would happily videotape a chicken eating dog then capture dog and call animal control then sue the heck out of those folks. I like to go the extra mile and solve the whole problem.

Quote:
I agree. People stupid enough and careless enough to let their dogs out don't usually give that much of a fluff if the dog doesn't come home one day. They just get another one and do the same thing.

Hit them in something they actually care about (their wallets), and you should be able to nip the whole problem.

If not...well...shooting may be your option.

Back
Top Bottom