Abandoned Chickens

coachhaze

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Morganton
I wanted to let you guys know about a situation i came across yesterday. I was driving to pick up my car that had been in the shop. I took a "back" way to the mechanic's place and was shocked to see around 12-15 chickens scratching on the side of the road looking for food. There was no house within 100 yards in either direction. The group looked to be several young roos at 1st glance. I went back to the house and caught 3 of the chickens. 1 handsome silkie roo and 2 young aracauna roos. the others took off. I went back this morning and brought home 3 more. The new group included a pullet, a cochin roo and another young aracauna roo. Hopefully some will survive through the night as I plan on going back tomorrow. It burned me up to see this, these birds were very docile and where they were dumped was near an area where many predators are known to be in the vicinity. Whoever dumped the birds could have listed them in a local shopping paper for free without doing that. Anybody else ever run across this situation??

no, but I wish! I constantly look along the side of the road for dumped animals -- I see an occasional dog, but nothing like a chicken. I don't know if people are just too lazy, or just assume that a Good Samaritan, such as yourself, will "happen along" to rescue them. Or, knowing about the predators, they figured it'd be an easy way to "get rid of" the birds.

Don't know why people do what they do ... those that move and leave their pets behind in the apartment/house ?? Abandon animals in rural areas figuring a farmer will need another barn cat?? As Ron White says, "Ya Can't Fix Stupid."

Gwen

I hate to say this but if they are in good health, you may well have rescued someones birds that got loose. I would ask the neighbors if some of their flock is missing. Be a good chicken person and check before you call them yours. I had one of mine escape once and found her a mile away. ONE MILE!!!!! Dumb bird was trying to cross a busy highway when I said to myself "HEY!!! That is rice & beans!!!!"

There was no house near this place. They were in the same place both times I caught them. The ones I brought home were very hungry and very thirsty and there was one that had been killed near where i found them. The game land areas are near my home and this is the third time i have seen chickens dumped.

It is really good of you to rescue abandoned chickens like that. I applaud you.
clap.gif

Quote:
Rick,
It is good that you rescued them, but please be careful with new birds. I would keep them seperated from the rest of your birds.

We get several dogs and cats in the neighorhood, but no chickens.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom