Abandoned Chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by coachhaze, Sep 19, 2009.

1. coachhaze

coachhaze Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    Morganton
    I wanted to let you guys know about a situation i came across yesterday. I was driving to pick up my car that had been in the shop. I took a "back" way to the mechanic's place and was shocked to see around 12-15 chickens scratching on the side of the road looking for food. There was no house within 100 yards in either direction. The group looked to be several young roos at 1st glance. I went back to the house and caught 3 of the chickens. 1 handsome silkie roo and 2 young aracauna roos. the others took off. I went back this morning and brought home 3 more. The new group included a pullet, a cochin roo and another young aracauna roo. Hopefully some will survive through the night as I plan on going back tomorrow. It burned me up to see this, these birds were very docile and where they were dumped was near an area where many predators are known to be in the vicinity. Whoever dumped the birds could have listed them in a local shopping paper for free without doing that. Anybody else ever run across this situation??

2. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    no, but I wish! I constantly look along the side of the road for dumped animals -- I see an occasional dog, but nothing like a chicken. I don't know if people are just too lazy, or just assume that a Good Samaritan, such as yourself, will "happen along" to rescue them. Or, knowing about the predators, they figured it'd be an easy way to "get rid of" the birds.

Don't know why people do what they do ... those that move and leave their pets behind in the apartment/house ?? Abandon animals in rural areas figuring a farmer will need another barn cat?? As Ron White says, "Ya Can't Fix Stupid."

Gwen

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I hate to say this but if they are in good health, you may well have rescued someones birds that got loose. I would ask the neighbors if some of their flock is missing. Be a good chicken person and check before you call them yours. I had one of mine escape once and found her a mile away. ONE MILE!!!!! Dumb bird was trying to cross a busy highway when I said to myself "HEY!!! That is rice & beans!!!!"

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Wait, you named her "rice and beans"? Now I don;t feel bad about calling mine coco & vin.

5. debilorrah

Quote:Wait, you named her "rice and beans"? Now I don;t feel bad about calling mine coco & vin.

She is black and white spotted. What else was I gonna call her!!!!

6. coachhaze

coachhaze Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    Morganton
    There was no house near this place. They were in the same place both times I caught them. The ones I brought home were very hungry and very thirsty and there was one that had been killed near where i found them. The game land areas are near my home and this is the third time i have seen chickens dumped.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It is really good of you to rescue abandoned chickens like that. I applaud you.[​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:How very sad!!! We get alot of dumped dogs in my area. ALOT.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Rick,
    It is good that you rescued them, but please be careful with new birds. I would keep them seperated from the rest of your birds.

We get several dogs and cats in the neighorhood, but no chickens.

Matt

10. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    hm, too bad the humane society couldn't put up a "chicken cam" to catch whoever is doing this.

Gwen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by