Abandoned ducks

katjm87

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2021
Looking for some duck advise......I live on a small lake in Michigan. There are 6 domestic ducks that were bought as ducklings as pets this past spring. They have roamed the lake all summer. The people who bought them moved away. They usually hang out in some reeds at the edge of the lake a few houses down from mine. I am concerned because the lake will be freezing soon and it will get very cold! I dont know a damn thing about ducks, but am wondering if I should at least put up a shelter for them? They have never been cooped......I'm not sure what to do! Any advise please??

Looking for some duck advise......I live on a small lake in Michigan. There are 6 domestic ducks that were bought as ducklings as pets this past spring. They have roamed the lake all summer. The people who bought them moved away. They usually hang out in some reeds at the edge of the lake a few houses down from mine. I am concerned because the lake will be freezing soon and it will get very cold! I dont know a damn thing about ducks, but am wondering if I should at least put up a shelter for them? They have never been cooped......I'm not sure what to do! Any advise please??
Are they friendly? If they aren't something you are able to keep as pets for yourself, the best chance they have is if you catch them and rehome them.
It's amazing that none of them have been picked off by predators if they've been living on the lake all summer. A shelter would help them in poor weather, but I would be more concerned about predators than the cold.

Are they white ducks? Domestic Pekins are ill-equipped to look after themselves in the wild as they cannot fly. As Isadora has written, a major problem is predators. You might be able to make friends with the ducks by feeding them duck pellets from tractor supply and thus enticing them on to your property. You would then have a better chance of being able to capture them and either rehome them, or keep them in your own secure coop. You can adapt an old dog kennel or play house as a duck coop, you need not build one. But if you are handy, it is possible to quickly and cheaply build a duck coop from pallets.

I hope you are able to help these ducks and glad that you sought advice in this forum

TlAre they friendly? If they aren't something you are able to keep as pets for yourself, the best chance they have is if you catch them and rehome them.
It's amazing that none of them have been picked off by predators if they've been living on the lake all summer. A shelter would help them in poor weather, but I would be more concerned about predators than the cold.

They are very friendly!! Everyone on the lake kind of looks after them. I hate to capture them or contain them, as this is the only life they have known. I bought a coop, food, and straw. I think I will set it down by the lake and they can use if if they want? I just dont want to draw predators to them. Just not sure what is best to at least try to get them thru the winter!!

They are very friendly!! Everyone on the lake kind of looks after them. I hate to capture them or contain them, as this is the only life they have known. I bought a coop, food, and straw. I think I will set it down by the lake and they can use if if they want? I just dont want to draw predators to them. Just not sure what is best to at least try to get them thru the winter!!
They have never had a coop? How old are they?

That's great that you have a coop. Do set it down by the lake with straw inside and attract them over with food. The important part is to secure the coop at dusk so that they are safe from predators and let them out with food on hand in the morning. That way they will associate the coop with food which is the principal motivating factor for ducks!

Does the lake ever freeze over entirely? Do they have access to food that’s meant for ducks?

Predators are obviously a concern, but I’d be more worried about them getting enough food with the right nutrients over the winter.
I am told that a channel across the lake does not usually freeze over completely.....I was hoping the ducks would migrate to that channel, but no luck so far. I went to a feed store and bought 3 large bags of "duck/poultry" feed and some rubber water bowls. The lake is half frozen now. The ducks waddle out to the open water and sit on the ice like it's a beach....lol. I dont know if they will survive, but I'd like to give them a few options!!

Back
Top Bottom