Abandoned egg in a bucket....

image.jpg
Are the big veins gone yet? It might be time to help him out.
I think they look smaller, but not really thin yet...

I've been listening to this little duck cheep from that egg since Sunday night. His nest mates are now all 5 & 6 days old! I thought for sure he would be out or dead by now, but no, still hanging out in that egg.
:barnie I'd be going nuts by now.

:hugs

I've been listening to this little duck cheep from that egg since Sunday night. His nest mates are now all 5 & 6 days old! I thought for sure he would be out or dead by now, but no, still hanging out in that egg.

I think you would be safe to make a little slit from the opening upward, then fold it back toward the egg, like a bag in a trash can. Fold back as much as you can around the bill and head especially. Careful to keep everything away from the nostrils.
This is when the membrane tends to stick to the right eyeball, if it’s not covered by a wing or further back in there, so be careful there.

Hopefully it will wiggle and pop it’s head out. If it does, shine your light down the belly, toward the other end of the egg and look for yolk. Don’t pull it out of the egg though, let it push out on its own.

image.jpg
I think you would be safe to make a little slit from the opening upward, then fold it back toward the egg, like a bag in a trash can. Fold back as much as you can around the bill and head especially. Careful to keep everything away from the nostrils.
This is when the membrane tends to stick to the right eyeball, if it’s not covered by a wing or further back in there, so be careful there.

Hopefully it will wiggle and pop it’s head out. If it does, shine your light down the belly, toward the other end of the egg and look for yolk. Don’t pull it out of the egg though, let it push out on its own.
I don't see yolk, but I can't really see much. :idunno

View attachment 1826730
I don't see yolk, but I can't really see much. :idunno

Looks good! You won’t be able to see the yolk until the head pops out because it’s butt is in the other end of the egg, so that’s where the yolk would be.

I think now you can just wait for the yawning to stop and for it to start struggling to get out. Then you will probably have to help it more, since it doesn’t have the shell to push against.

Great job!!

Back
Top Bottom