1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Abandoned eggs, still alive? please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by earlybirdy5, Jul 28, 2016.

1. earlybirdy5

earlybirdy5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2015
    Fontana, ca
    I opened an egg today because I have an abandoned clutch of ten and according the chick that hatched with this group under a broody these eggs are around 30 days.So when I opened the egg the poor little chick was full of feathers with a veiny yolk and some yellowish fluid and it did not smell weird or anything, it seemed to around day 17 development. Did I kill it? and should I keep going with the others?

Side note...I have had this clutch in a makeshift incubator since last Friday, touchy temp for a bit but now pretty stable at 99.4-100.1 and humidity at 68-70%

2. earlybirdy5

Jul 17, 2015
    Fontana, ca
    I guess I should have also stated that I candled them last week and they were veiny with a decent air sac. I candled them today and they are mostly dark still with a good sized air sac. I am really lost in what I am doing at this point. Trying to save these eggs if I can. I buried the little fella that I opened, taking a picture seemed very morbid to me although maybe someone could have helped me more if they had seen.

3. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I would leave them alone for now. If they are going to hatch they should fairly soon. I wouldn't mess with anything at the moment. It's possible they aren't alive anymore, it's possible they are. I'd just observe for now.

4. earlybirdy5

Jul 17, 2015
    Fontana, ca
    Thank you for responding, I have convinced my husband to do just that (give it a little longer)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by