Abigail or Abbott???

BungalowBill

Hatching
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Hello All,
We have three chickens that are 7 weeks old. We have one Americana (Abigail), a Rhode Island red (Lucille) and a plymouth (Greta). We noticed some interesting behavior in the Americana; to be frank, she is a jerk to the other two. Abigail is often seen jumping on Lucille's head and will peck at the others beaks too. She is also the most difficult to catch out of all our chicks. In short, we are beginning to question her sex..is Abigail in fact a Rooster...Abbott? We are unsure at this point, she does have quite large tail feather which we have read are quite common for this breed, however the tail feathers are beginning to show small streaks of blue and purple. Her comb is only just starting to come through and it doesn't look that pronounced yet. Please help us decipher this conundrum! See photo below:

Many Thanks,

BungalowBill
31064_img_0559.jpg

31064_img_0561.jpg

He/she looks just like my EE roo. A closeup of the comb from the side and above would help a lot. Are they from a hatchery?

for 7 weeks she is still looking like a pullet. She might just be the boss lady of the flock?? I am no expert but I would think you might see more pink by now???

idunno.gif
I have a 9 week old EE who is supposed to be a pullet (I paid for a pullet) but I question *her* gender every day.

Abigail is gorgeous!
fl.gif
that she is in fact a she.
smile.png

I would guess roo.

My EE girls have skinnier combs, not as bumpy or red. The tail feathers look like they are starting to curl and the feathers at the base of the tail are parting to the sides. My girls have shorter, rounded tail feathers that make an upside down V or U. I also never get girls that are that pretty. Soon as I notice them feathering out anything but brown, black or tan, I assume they will be boys. Its not always true, but more often than not.

Hope I am completely wrong and your beautiful EE turns out to be a girlie
smile.png

Last edited:
I would say pullet because the comb is small and not really red. My EE last year at that age had a really red comb. My suspected EE roo this year has a red comb as well and he/she is 9 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom