Abilene, TX - Khaki Campbell and Cayuga Drakes, chicks, and ducklings

Tankueray

Bird Nerd
Feb 12, 2021
West Texas
I have too many drakes, available are 2-3 Khaki Campbells and 1-2 Cayugas. I also bought a used GQF cabinet and got a little too excited about it.... Beginning Sept. 11th through the end of the month, I'll be up to my eyeballs in chicks and ducklings.

The ducklings could be from Khaki or Rouen Drakes over Khaki, Magpie, Blue Swedish, or Welsh Harlequin hens, only one set of ducklings is due Sept. 26th-ish (because the Magpie is broody, I really don't want more ducks.)

The chicks will be Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben over EE, OE, Welbar, or Penedesenca hens, with a slight possibility of a White Ameraucana or SSAS hen. From my observations, the boys like the EEs best, and I loaded in every blue egg I collected for 3 weeks (at least one EE lays blue). None of the eggs are easy to candle, so this month will be full of surprises I guess!

Three SSAS that won't go into my breeding program are available as well. (2 Roosters, one hen - all likely related.) Type and coloring are not bad, but they all have crests that are too long and the hen's crest doesn't point forward.

Do you have any pure Cayuga hatching eggs available?
I don't right now, sorry. I had a bobcat problem in November and lost a significant number of chickens and ducks. Two of my Cayuga drakes were given to a good friend before that, so I have thought about borrowing them this summer. :)

BOLO though, last year I saw Cayugas at one of my more rural TSCs, they thought they were Khaki Campbells. They come from Privett out this way, yours probably do too. You could find out when your TSCs are getting chicks in and just call that morning to see if they have any, although you'll have to confirm they're not Khakis - from what I've been told by multiple TSCs, the ducks are just labeled "ducks SR" on the box. Amazingly, that same TSC also had quail last year, and geese the year before, my closer TSCs (in a larger market) never get anything like that.

I don't right now, sorry. I had a bobcat problem in November and lost a significant number of chickens and ducks. Two of my Cayuga drakes were given to a good friend before that, so I have thought about borrowing them this summer. :)

BOLO though, last year I saw Cayugas at one of my more rural TSCs, they thought they were Khaki Campbells. They come from Privett out this way, yours probably do too. You could find out when your TSCs are getting chicks in and just call that morning to see if they have any, although you'll have to confirm they're not Khakis - from what I've been told by multiple TSCs, the ducks are just labeled "ducks SR" on the box. Amazingly, that same TSC also had quail last year, and geese the year before, my closer TSCs (in a larger market) never get anything like that.
Oh no! That is awful! Yes, that might be an option, my closest TSC is about 40ish minutes away. Wow! That is quite the variety! Normally they just have chicks and ducklings, right?

Back
Top Bottom