About perianal adenoma

Laddu

Songster
May 1, 2021
India
Hello dearers...
I wanted to know if any of you had happen to know about perianal adenoma in dogs. Not the Google knowledge, I want to know about your experiences
Please share as my dog has diagnosed with one, he's not neutered and he's a senior dog (13 years) don't want to loose him.. please share something

If he is healthy enough for anesthesia then neutering him would shrink the tumors. If not there is not likely much that can be done except for keeping the area clean. So sorry to hear that you are going through this.
Do they really shrink after neutering ?

I have no experience with perianal edema (which sounds like swelling and fluid build up, not tumors...) but I personally wouldn't neuter a 13 year old dog... He's only got a few years left, max- why put him through the pain of that procedure? The vet probably would've suggested it if it would help.

Perianal ADENOMA (not edema) is a type of cancer found in male dogs. It occurs in intact (unneutered) male dogs, and is testosterone responsive, similar to prostate cancer in men. Removing the testicles removes almost all testosterone as well, and the tumors shrink, somewhat miraculously.

If you don't or can't (for medical reasons) neuter your pet, the tumor will continue to grow, causing swelling and painful sores in the skin around the anus.

Yes neutering is worth it. It is a very simple medical procedure which produces only brief transient pain, which can be well managed with medications.

Perianal ADENOMA (not edema) is a type of cancer found in male dogs. It occurs in intact (unneutered) male dogs, and is testosterone responsive, similar to prostate cancer in men. Removing the testicles removes almost all testosterone as well, and the tumors shrink, somewhat miraculously.

If you don't or can't (for medical reasons) neuter your pet, the tumor will continue to grow, causing swelling and painful sores in the skin around the anus.

Yes neutering is worth it. It is a very simple medical procedure which produces only brief transient pain, which can be well managed with medications.
Oh gosh, I'm sorry, I totally read that wrong! Again, I have no experience with this, never even heard of it before- I just thought it was odd to suggest neutering a dog of such an advanced age and figured the vet would've suggested it if it would help.

Oh gosh, I'm sorry, I totally read that wrong! Again, I have no experience with this, never even heard of it before- I just thought it was odd to suggest neutering a dog of such an advanced age and figured the vet would've suggested it if it would help.
Thanks for your response
You know the vet these days don't really help.. they just say do this n this. We'll see what next .. I mean they're just to making money..

My vet is ughh... I have done all the tests he asked for .. and now he's saying he's diagnosed with cushing's.. it is yet to be test. But he shows signs of it.
Having a vet that you trust is essential. Especially when caring for a senior dog. If you're really not confident in his expertise (or for any reason) then its time to find a new vet.
Read some local reviews, ask around, and get in to see a new vet. You can have all records sent to a new hospital so that they will not have to repeat tests.
You and your dog deserve a vet that you have confidence in.

Back
Top Bottom