1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About the new chicks next week...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paganfish, Jan 27, 2008.

1. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hey-

Call me paranoid but...well, I am! [​IMG]

My question is this. When I get my 25 chicks next week...should I separate them from the current ones in the same room or different rooms? I don't have the space for a different room to separate but I could do something if it has to be that way. (Figure something out, I mean.)

My main concern is pecking order. Will the current chicks NOT take well to the new chicks at such tender age or is that just for bigger/older birds? If so, should I (like I did with reintroduction of older birds) put them beside each other with a fence separating them so they get used to one another for about a week or so. Then, let them ALL lose--together?

Or should I not? I am not used to getting two shipments of chicks simultaneously like this...HELP!

[​IMG]

Your advice will be GREATLY appreciated!

Peace-

Pedro

PS The 22 peeps are doing phenomenally! Thanks for all your kinds words...AND thoughts! [​IMG]

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:This is what I would do, at least for the first few days. Even if it was just putting them in a clothes basket in the brooder. I know it wouldn't be much room but just for the first couple of days for them to settle in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by