About those metal waterers... I can't figure out the design

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I'm trying to hang these double-walled metal waterers.

But, the handle on the top is an oval. That's what I'm attaching to an S hook. However, there's no notch in the oval handle to keep the S hook in the center of the oval. Sooooo, it's just a matter of time before the waterer slips cockeyed and spills all the water.

What am I missing here? This seems like such an easy thing for the maker to put a notch in the handle. Ugh.

I can do some handy sorts of things, but I don't know how to bend this sturdy metal. Advice?

I believe it is because they are not "meant" to be hung? There was another thread on this and somebody suggested putting a bend in the handle yourself or using besides an S hook. I don'[t know the name of what they were using but it had 2 hooks.

I don't think they are meant to hang. Most people pit them up on bricks or blocks of wood. If they were hanging each time a chicken would drink it would probably tilt and spill. Those things have to be level or they will spill anyway.

My double walled fount waterer says you are supposed to carry it by the inner handle when it is full of water. When I put the top on, if I pick it up by the outside top handle to move it, it seems to affect the suction/drainage -- I don't think they design it to be hung up.

My double walled fount waterer says you are supposed to carry it by the inner handle when it is full of water. When I put the top on, if I pick it up by the outside top handle to move it, it seems to affect the suction/drainage -- I don't think they design it to be hung up.
Huh. Well, waddayaknow. I got them to hang in my wire-bottomed cages. This explains why they couldn't put a notch in the handle.

Guess I need to buy 2 new hanging waterers. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom