About to get turkey chicks are fermenting distiller grains ok?

Sadseth1

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
About to get turkey chicks are fermenting distiller grains ok? Just got done with 8 week cornish cross run and success mixed distiller grain and layer feed and fermenting it there whole life had avg 12lb birds . I was wondering if its possible to raise broad breasted turkeys the same way. If not what cheapest way to bulk up. Even at feed mill layer feed 20% protein is 12.05 for 50 lbs verse the distiller grain 35% protein is 6.45 100lb bag.

35% is good protein, maybe too high, but also some other important elements may be lacking. You might be able to get away with mixing the spent grains with a turkey starter. You want protein to be about 28 percent for the first few weeks. I would look into the Pearson square, which is a way to calculate protein content of a mixed feed. You will also need to watch lysine content.

I give my laying hens large bins of spent grains from a local brewery (I have over 100 hens and I give them about 100 gallons of spent brewery grains at a time) , but that being said, frequency is about once a month and these are fresh, wet, hot grains right out of the kettle so it might be a different situation as compared to commercially dried spent grains (which is what I'm assuming you're referring to.

I have had negative results feeding *too much* spent grain to my laying flock. Pros and cons. I would say try it, but in moderation first.

Back
Top Bottom