? about welsummers please help!

The word "flighty" confuses me. It does seem synonomous with nervous.

When I use the word, it means that they fly well. Too well. So that they can escape my uncovered chicken pen whenever they feel like it. In that case, one of my Welsummer pullets is very flighty. I think I need to move her, her buddy/sister, and a naughty flighty Dominique into one of the covered duckpens, before they become dinner for a fox.

But other than the ability to escape, they give me no problems at all. And the escapee is only one bird. The others seem perfectly content in their pen. They are so beautiful! And quiet, and reasonably friendly for broody-raised birds. They haven't laid any eggs yet, but I'm very excited about the prospect.

I like the breed a lot.
smile.png

welsummers and marans lay a dark egg but the darkness is sprayed on in the ovaduct. if you rub the egg the dark comes off. i dont see the european breeds as being hardy like the american breeds. the barred rock and rhode island red lay a brown egg and the brown doesnt rub off. i could include delawares, jersey giants, new hampshires and wyandottes as hardy, dual purpose , american breeds.

We have Welsummers along with 4 other breeds, all about 4 months old. All came from Welp/Privett (same mailing zip code in the west). The Welsummers are very pretty, coloring would be good for camoflauge. The are very curious birds, and nice other than they peck hard at your hand for treats.

I think my only complaint is they are very vocal, making some loud sounds. It's ok, since we live in the country, but it could be an issue in they city.

Welsummers are one of the three breeds that I raise, breed, and show. Do you have some specific questions?

I agree with those that would disagree with Welsummers being "flighty" as in overly nervous. Can they fly? You bet! Talkative, I'd say yes.

Btw, I just stopped in for a few minutes and found it's been awhile because I've got 99 unread pages. If you have specific questions, there are other breeders on here that can help you too. Send me a personal email and I'll reply with some more information later...

God Bless,

Quote:
My Wellies are breeder birds not hatchery birds and they either can be quiet or vocal. Gotta love them all! I live in the city and the Welsummers adapt to city living with NO problems.

I love my Welsummers....They are just as sweet as they can be and really pretty eggs....I'm posting a welsummer posting we had just for photos as I've got to run and do chores in a bit and uploading the photos is so hard for me.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=228465

We are in the country and ours are non hatchery birds. In terms of flighty - I just don't see it in them. They will come right up to me at feeding time.

I love the egg colors,,,,,BUT I must warn you....My first egg I picked up when it was wet and I just about screamed......Because the egg coloring came off on my fingers - really....... So don't pick up their eggs until fully dry because they literally paint the eggs at the last second....The eggs lighten over time until their next laying cycle and a lot of the coloration depends on the male rooster as well.

But for demeanor and consistent laying (about 4 a week I'm getting per hen), we've been very pleased.

I really don't have experience with a hatchery welsummer.

Hope this was helpful and have a blessed day. AND yes you want welsummers.

Last edited:
Quote:
It has to be their upbringing and enviroment. My wellies are the sweetest breed that i have. I have 8 different breeds. My wellies are so docile and sweet that i was worried about them standing up for themselves when it came to hen pecking order, but they did just fine.

They came from Meyers Hatchery.

My Wellies are not flighty but they are pretty vocal especially my oldest rooster. It is one of the reasons that I love them so much. I love to hear them singing the egg song. I wouldn't trade my Wellies or my Marans for the world.
My neighbor has hatchery Wellies and they are EXTREMELY FLIGHTY! Just like leghorns, when she walks into their coop they go BERZERK!

My Welsummers are from breeder stock and they are friendly, not flighty, talkative, and the roos are loud, yes.

I do like to hear them crow though--they do a full-throated "cock-a-doodle-do" - my Blue Andalusian & Blue Rocks sound like frogs!

I love the coloring and think they are beautiful birds, both hens & esp. roos. Everybody tells me, "they look and sound like a rooster is SUPPOSED to", lol!

Back
Top Bottom