? about welsummers please help!

I have 5 different breeds and my Welsummers are my favorites. They are calm, good layers (180-200 yr), and the eggs are extra large to jumbo. None of my hens have ever gone broody. They are very uniform in appearance. They are efficient with their feed. They don't eat that much, aren't huge, yet give good production. They definitely don't need much space. When I open the door to their coop in the morning, unlike my other breeds, they take their good ol' time coming out, and they're the first on the roost in the evening.

Negatives - if you're in an extremely cold winter climate, the combs of the roos may get frostbite - they're huge. All my roos are very loud, but actually do not crow as much as a couple other breeds I have.

I have welsummers from Ideal, and they're calm and beautiful. Their eggs are much darker than any of my other brown egg layers, even though the breeders say they're not dark enough. I had one that was in the house for a while after being pecked til her tail was bloody. I named her Wanda, and she loved to take naps on my bed with me. Wanda's the best after having so much time in the house, but they're all calm and wonderful.

If I had to choose one breed to keep, it would probably be them. I love all my chickens, but their eggs are the prettiest!

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Tell that neighbor to get rid of his Welsummers and get some hatching eggs from yours LOL

Trying to get her to convert to all non-hatchery birds is like an act of congress. Every time she goes to the feed store and they have chicks she can't resist.
hmm.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom