Above ground pool - advice needed!

Quote:
I know..thats all i want too! Hubbys at the point he HATES this pool..
I love it... but i dont have to do any the upkeep work though..
tongue.png

about the clorox... my hubby uses the cheap bleach sometimes.. and it worked just fine...
I think that the bleach MAY kill the algae too?? Maybe...

So I just found this...... I guess this means it is OK to use it? Right now, I just want to keep things as cheap as possible. Cost was one the things DH feared when he kept refusing me a pool.... I don't want to prove him right!!

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/index.php/t-5852.html

Yup..sounds like it will work! I know that we do it... and his father did it too when he had a pool... So...
Just dont swim right away after you put it in though...(just to be safe..)
Some years we dont even use any of the chemicals to open up the pool correctly.. we just shock/bleach the heck out of it and throw in some baking soda.. LOL... }scary..but we've survived..
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
So I just found this...... I guess this means it is OK to use it? Right now, I just want to keep things as cheap as possible. Cost was one the things DH feared when he kept refusing me a pool.... I don't want to prove him right!!

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/index.php/t-5852.html

Yup..sounds like it will work! I know that we do it... and his father did it too when he had a pool... So...
Some years we dont even use any of the chemicals to open up the pool correctly.. we just shock/bleach the heck out of it and throw in some baking soda.. LOL... }scary..but we've survived..
lol.png

So what does the Baking Soda do?

Quote:
lol.png

It does something for the PH levels.... and it makes the water all sparkly too..
lol.png

Quote:

It does something for the PH levels.... and it makes the water all sparkly too..
lol.png

gig.gif

I like you. That's just about the level of understanding I plan to maintain. I bet you cook like I do, too. Just kinda throw stuff in til it smells and tastes right, right?
wink.png

Quote:
lol.png

gig.gif

I like you. That's just about the level of understanding I plan to maintain. I bet you cook like I do, too. Just kinda throw stuff in til it smells and tastes right, right?
wink.png

LOL..yup! I always do that..
lol.png

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. What pools need is sodium carbonate, sold as ph+ in the pool section. Two totally different things, and bicarbonate will not give you what you need in the pool. PH+ is not expensive--use the right stuff.
wink.png

We use biguaide, and an algaecide. Soft swim was one name. It works for us, and we have kids in our pool. It is expensive, but if your pool is small you would not need to use as much as us!
You have to use something, or you will have to drain and refill the pool, you can get really sick, even from your own germs floating in the water. Think about how you go to the bath room and wipe yourself, wiping doesn't remove all the stuff it just gets most, so you have germs left on your skin, and that is what the sanitizer work to kill. Gross I know but it is true!
Just check the labels or ask someone at a pool store, they are very helpful most of the time, and most do free water tests! Sometimes you have to add ph increaser or decreaser to balance the water! Mostly after big rains!.

Quote:
LOL..ooh well.. we have been using it for years..
lol.png

It DOES make your water sparkle though...
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Ahh... phooey. This just keeps getting worse. Surely I don't need the chlorine tabs if I am using the Clorox? Or am I being a dumba$$?

Sparkly water sounds good. Sure beats green slime...
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom