Acceptable Incubator Temp Variations

Deryk

Songster
Jun 12, 2017
Middle Tennessee
I know this has probably been covered here somewhere but I haven't located an answer for my question.

I picked up a small used Hova-bator 1602, the old style not the new. It has a small fan added under the lid.

I have been working to adjust the thermostat and I have it so it kicks on at 93.5 and shuts off at 103.3ish. I know over 104 is the dead zone so does this sound like a good range for the incubator? I wasn't expecting it to fluctuate that much before kicking on and off.

I am using a very reliable Omron digital thermometer that is used for under the tongue temperature so it is adjusts quickly and accurately. I understand that once the eggs get in there they will maintain temperature better than the air around them so I need some advice on how to set the incubator to the best temp range. Thanks in advance.

I know this has probably been covered here somewhere but I haven't located an answer for my question.

I picked up a small used Hova-bator 1602, the old style not the new. It has a small fan added under the lid.

I have been working to adjust the thermostat and I have it so it kicks on at 93.5 and shuts off at 103.3ish. I know over 104 is the dead zone so does this sound like a good range for the incubator? I wasn't expecting it to fluctuate that much before kicking on and off.

I am using a very reliable Omron digital thermometer that is used for under the tongue temperature so it is adjusts quickly and accurately. I understand that once the eggs get in there they will maintain temperature better than the air around them so I need some advice on how to set the incubator to the best temp range. Thanks in advance.

Temp fluctuation are going to happen, but that is a huge range. before you get eggs you want to set, get some kind of small closed container with water in it that you can put the thermometer into, a small tupperware type container, or even a ziplock baggie will sorta work. something to simulate an egg. stick your medical thermometer in the water and take the temp. if your range is getting a consistent temp of 99.5 inside the water then your fluctuations are fine. (you don't have to leave the thermometer in the water, but leave your "egg" in the incubator if you can to take the temp.) a range of turn on at 98.5 is probably the lowest I would go. and shut off at about 102.5 max. if you need it to get your internal temp. I know from when the power went out during an incubation that by the time the temp gets to 93. those eggs are cold! it won't necessarily kill them if it's for a short time but if the temp is regularly getting that low, you are likely to have development problems if any hatch.

:)

Do they normally stabilize after they run for a bit of time? 10 degrees is obviously a large variation so I am not adjusting any more and just letting it run to see if it narrows that range and finds a stable temp. I added a sealed tupperware with water in it as a heat-sink to see if that makes any difference as well.

What type of tweaking should I be doing? I made sure the windows are sealed on the lid by adding some tape around the edges but this is my first attempt so I do not know what my next step should be.

My concern is that this variation is a sign the incubator is defective.

Do they normally stabilize after they run for a bit of time? 10 degrees is obviously a large variation so I am not adjusting any more and just letting it run to see if it narrows that range and finds a stable temp. I added a sealed tupperware with water in it as a heat-sink to see if that makes any difference as well.

What type of tweaking should I be doing? I made sure the windows are sealed on the lid by adding some tape around the edges but this is my first attempt so I do not know what my next step should be.

My concern is that this variation is a sign the incubator is defective.

I haven't used that kind of incubator before. but they will stabilize a bit after running for a few days. if there's a large difference in temp in the room it's in like day vs. night it might never work right. the eggs need air they breathe. so don't seal it up all the way.

a room in your house with consistent temps would be the best place. depending on your local humidity, the bathroom might work. it might be too humid though. basically the biggest way to find out if it'll work is to keep testing and when you think you've got it working good enough trying it out with some eggs.

Still working on this. Woke up this morning and it was sitting at 112 degrees so that was a bit unexpected. Very glad I have this time to figure it out.

Did some redneck ingenuity and have a meat thermometer centered in a real egg in there now so I can see what the temp is inside the egg. The air differential has narrowed but only slightly. Now kicking on at 96 and kicking off at 102.5 per the omron. I added some ceramic tile in the bottom under the mesh to add some thermal mass. It seems to cycle quite often so it hits that top temp and drops rather quickly to 95/96 when it kicks back on. It is in a room with no drafts or exterior openings and the ceiling fan is off so I think this thing just leaches heat quicker than I would have expected. The house is stable set at 70.

I have an accutire in there but that thing has such a delayed response you can take it out and it will take several minutes to show the actual room temperature, I would guess around 15 minutes. I am basically using that for the humidity check until I get something better.

If I can get the temp to remain stable in the egg at 99-100 for an extended time I think I will be set even if the ambient air temp continues to rise and fall throughout the cycle. I will just have to figure out the plan for any chicks that hatch as I imagine that would be very stressful on them while they are trying to dry and stay warm.

I haven't used that kind of incubator before. but they will stabilize a bit after running for a few days. if there's a large difference in temp in the room it's in like day vs. night it might never work right. the eggs need air they breathe. so don't seal it up all the way.

a room in your house with consistent temps would be the best place. depending on your local humidity, the bathroom might work. it might be too humid though. basically the biggest way to find out if it'll work is to keep testing and when you think you've got it working good enough trying it out with some eggs.

I only taped around the windows as they didn't seem to be seated quite tight, there are still the vent holes in the top so I am guessing that is adequate. Thanks for the reply, I will be putting eggs in soon I hope.

Still working on this. Woke up this morning and it was sitting at 112 degrees so that was a bit unexpected. Very glad I have this time to figure it out.

Did some redneck ingenuity and have a meat thermometer centered in a real egg in there now so I can see what the temp is inside the egg. The air differential has narrowed but only slightly. Now kicking on at 96 and kicking off at 102.5 per the omron. I added some ceramic tile in the bottom under the mesh to add some thermal mass. It seems to cycle quite often so it hits that top temp and drops rather quickly to 95/96 when it kicks back on. It is in a room with no drafts or exterior openings and the ceiling fan is off so I think this thing just leaches heat quicker than I would have expected. The house is stable set at 70.

I have an accutire in there but that thing has such a delayed response you can take it out and it will take several minutes to show the actual room temperature, I would guess around 15 minutes. I am basically using that for the humidity check until I get something better.

If I can get the temp to remain stable in the egg at 99-100 for an extended time I think I will be set even if the ambient air temp continues to rise and fall throughout the cycle. I will just have to figure out the plan for any chicks that hatch as I imagine that would be very stressful on them while they are trying to dry and stay warm.

The highest temp I've had while incubating was 114* I can only assume it was a brief rise because I didn't have any associated deaths. I couldn't find any store bought incubators that were affordable and worked. it might be an idea to make one of your own, maybe even a plywood box you can put that incubator in?

Back
Top Bottom