Accomplish nothing and send me the bill

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
I have had an ongoing battle to get my back child support. My ex believes that if his employer doesn't take out the money- he doesn't have to pay anything. He repeatedly changes jobs, so the new employers have 6 weeks to start paying. This has left him with a huge balance.
The county child support enforcement agency has partnered with the county prosecutor to get him for contempt (for non-payment) and get the back money. I had nothing to do with this- it's automatic when someone repeatedly misses payments. Of course my ex fails to show up for any of the hearings.
Now I find out they are billing ME for the court costs. I haven't gotten any of the money, and did not initiate the court proceedings. Is that fair? They say I owe almost 300 dollars!

The funny thing is- he calls me screaming- "you know I'm going to have to miss a day of work!!!!" Well- if you don't pay- you're going to miss a lot more than a day!
gig.gif

No, it's not right or fair.
I have had the same problems with my ex for YEARS, he works in construction and feels that if he doesn't work due to weather or not having a site... he thinks he doesn't have to pay.
I don't know about the laws in your state... in the state I have my order (Indiana), the PAYER is liable for the court/support fees.
This is also the case for my husband's state (Arkansas).
And you're right, if he doesn't pay, he'll be worse off than ONE day of work missed
gig.gif
lau.gif
roll.png

The court order is on Ohio. I'm really surprised (and happy) that they are finally keeping up on things - but don't bill ME!

What's even stranger is that a few months ago I got a subpoena that named ME as the defendant! Somebody messed up on the journal entry. Scared the heck out of me.
tongue.png

Quote:
This COULD all be a mistake then, have you talked to them and let them know?
They might have you tagged in their system wrong and it might be HIM who owes for the fees.

My order is in KY. I have never been billed and it's been 14 years. That's ridiculous that you are being billed for the state to enforce their own law. The county attorney in my home town handles all of the child support issues. Now, if and when I have gone to court over custody, that's all on me.

Quote:
They might have you tagged in their system wrong and it might be HIM who owes for the fees.

Ha! You're right- that could be it. Sometimes it just takes a look from the outside. Thanks
wink.png

Quote:

I think that is worth a phone call sounds like computer error to me or as my high school computer teacher said "garbage in garbage out" can't blame the computer.

Last edited:
Quote:

Ha! You're right- that could be it. Sometimes it just takes a look from the outside. Thanks
wink.png

LOL I hope that's it.
It was your last post that gave me that idea.
I mean, that sounds really strange to me...
I know here in Georgia, I would have to pay fees to START or SWITCH my order to this state...
but that's different than court fees.

Ugh! I finally got a call back. Since I was divorced in that state, this a considered a "continuing part of the divorce" so they are going to keep billing me.
somad.gif

Now I really hope they lock him up for a few days. I'd pay for that!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom