Accomplish nothing and send me the bill

Quote:
awwww dern it!
I was sure rooting for you and hoping it was all a mistake!

I had nothing to do with it, but my ex got 4 weekends in jail for not paying his support
woot.gif

The judge didn't like him popping hot for drugs when they pee tested him
tongue.png

The judge was smart, notice I said WEEKENDS in jail?
She did this so he had no excuse why he couldn't work and pay his support.
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Years ago my Dad's tax refund was taken to pay his back support... still don't get how he managed to owe since the judge only made him pay a whopping $25/wk (is that even enough for lunch?!) but anywho... don't know if they still do that, or if it would matter in this case, but it might be something to ask about.

Also, nowadays, at least down here, if you don't pay your support you get thrown in jail. Happened to my uncle. He lost his job, thus the autopayments stopped, and hadn't had any luck finding another. They came and locked him up... like that would help... I mean I know it's supposed to teach a lesson and all, but it wasn't like he was shirking on purpose, he was trying to find a job to support himself, his wife, and his two sons... it just wasn't happening. And being thrown in jail certainly didn't help that job hunt, much less get any money to his other son. Very odd. Especially when you consider that the woman doesn't even want or need the support. She didn't even want him to know he had a son, but when she filed unemployment after she was injured they automatically filed a claim against him, and notified him that he'd had a son for 12 years. Weird situation, but point is that it really doesn't matter what the mom wants, the state is going to do what it wants. If you get a hard core agent then they'll go for blood. If you get a slacker then they'll only do the minimum of work to get their paycheck.

All I can say is best of luck, and if you don't get any results then talk to the 'agent's" supervisor...

Haaaa- that would be the best. The whole reason we got divorced in the first place was the weekends! Funny how he has no money for support, or gas money to visit- but he always has a case of beer.

Well- I'm not paying the bill until I see some cash or jail time
tongue.png

Quote:
Most states take tax returns for support owed automatically, but if the person doesn't have a refund coming...
When anyone files for unemployment, welfare, medicaid, etc... most states file for child support on behalf of the child.
It's not about what the parents want/think is fair, it's about supporting the children.
That is the parent's job, not the state and that is why they enforce the support orders.

Quote:
Ah, if only the rest of the country agreed with THAT!!
he.gif

I didn't know if the refund thing was common or not, as this was... ohhh... like 15 years ago. They never took my uncle's return, and he always got one since he was near poverty level with two kids so he got the EIC. Seems odd now that they didn't, as that could have made things SO much easier. No jail at least. Yeah that IS odd, I'ma have to ask him if that was ever mentioned. Don't think so, as I'm sure we all would have heard the ranting if it had, but I'll ask.

I guess I'm supposed to get his tax refund this year- all of 200 bucks. Better than nothing. The last time they took it- 9 years ago- it took almost a year to get to me. By then it was a nice surprise.
tongue.png

To add insult to injury- our daughter is handicapped. I have to make a 6 hour drive each way to Shriner's Hospital several times a year, and stay at a hotel. (We tried McDonald house- didn't work out so well). He knows better.

I'm betting that if they put him in jail for 1 day, his family would pay the back money and get him out. The thing is- they don't know. They think he's super dad
hmm.png

Quote:
Ah, if only the rest of the country agreed with THAT!!
he.gif

I didn't know if the refund thing was common or not, as this was... ohhh... like 15 years ago. They never took my uncle's return, and he always got one since he was near poverty level with two kids so he got the EIC. Seems odd now that they didn't, as that could have made things SO much easier. No jail at least. Yeah that IS odd, I'ma have to ask him if that was ever mentioned. Don't think so, as I'm sure we all would have heard the ranting if it had, but I'll ask.

Just guessing and throwing out ideas now...
His wife could have claimed "injured spouse" on their refund and gotten the money and as a result it wouldn't have been taken.
OR
You said something about him not knowing about the child for a length of time, the support order would have come into effect with a back due amount already due... this is due to the fact that when the order is issued, it has a retro effective date. The order would have went back to the child's actual day of birth and he would owe the amount of support from then on. So even if he didn't know about the child for many years, he would still owe the amount the court ordered from the day it was born...
I hope I explained it correctly??? LOL

Ack. I feel your pain. I would refuse to pay that bill either....thats insane.
My ex avoided paying his child support for 14 years before they caught up with him.
hmm.png

I would send them a letter and tell them you will pay the bill when they force the ex to pay up back support! My ex always paid his child support, before we got custody. And to your lousy no good for nothing ex
smack.gif
tongue.gif
They are your kids to, PAY UP

I am putting my soap box away now , sorry this is a touchy subject with me
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom