Acres Poultry hatching thread with aliciaplus3!

Pics
Brave woman!
Have had a few gunky ones, never so bad to stick to the bator floor tho 8-0 ...
...just so they have that brylcreem look once dried...which I may loosen with a soft tooth brush and some very gentle fingertip preening.
This last couple batches have had a couple sticky ones each. When I can rescue them before they are stuck in the shell drowning I prefer to shower them... gotta be careful not to chill em

This last couple batches have had a couple sticky ones each. When I can rescue them before they are stuck in the shell drowning I prefer to shower them... gotta be careful not to chill em
Is this common with hatching turkeys?
Have only hatched chickens

Is this common with hatching turkeys?
Have only hatched chickens
I believe my humidity was too high in my cabinet incubator. Thst would be why I traded for a smaller water reservoir. I am hoping that it fixes my issues. In the process I also double checked my temp on my brinsea and the cabinet incubator. I think they are just right now.

I believe my humidity was too high in my cabinet incubator. Thst would be why I traded for a smaller water reservoir. I am hoping that it fixes my issues. In the process I also double checked my temp on my brinsea and the cabinet incubator. I think they are just right now.
Since I am only using the cabinet incubator as an incubator, I sealed off all but the two front compartments of the water tray. This allows me to maintain the humidity around 35% during incubation during the early part of the year. Later when the swamp cooler is running, I do a completely dry hatch without adding any water during incubation.

Years ago I installed a Spyder Robotics PID controller in my GQF 1202 incubator. I set the temperature digitally and it controls the temperature within +/- 0.1°F as long as the room temperature stays within +/-20°F of 80°F. It is a bit pricey but has been well worth it to me to have a stable temperature in the incubator without having to worry about the room temperature fluctuating.

Since I am only using the cabinet incubator as an incubator, I sealed off all but the two front compartments of the water tray. This allows me to maintain the humidity around 35% during incubation during the early part of the year. Later when the swamp cooler is running, I do a completely dry hatch without adding any water during incubation.

Years ago I installed a Spyder Robotics PID controller in my GQF 1202 incubator. I set the temperature digitally and it controls the temperature within +/- 0.1°F as long as the room temperature stays within +/-20°F of 80°F. It is a bit pricey but has been well worth it to me to have a stable temperature in the incubator without having to worry about the room temperature fluctuating.
Someday I may get froggy and upgrade mine to digital
I am not real sure what the humidity is but with the number of drowned birds and sticky chicks I decided it was time to drop it some. My humidity tray is almost worn out, the divider doesnt keep water on one side it allows it to go all the way across making the humidity Way to high. I had been running a disposable bread pan size container but moved to a smaller across tuper type. We will see if things improve. I have decided that the little light colored eggs need to be in the 360 with around 40% humidity. I need to calibrate one of my hydrometer so I Know where the cabinet stands. But I ran out of oomph for today.

I forgot to note that at our elevation and with our normal Low humidity a completely dry hatch results in dried out dead babies, except in the Big eggs and the Very Dark ones.

I forgot to note that at our elevation and with our normal Low humidity a completely dry hatch results in dried out dead babies, except in the Big eggs and the Very Dark ones.
That is why I add water to the incubator in my early hatches. If I didn't add water early on, my humidity would be below 10% in the incubator. However when the swamp cooler is running, the humidity in the house is 60% meaning that I need to run completely dry at that time to achieve the low 30s that works well for me in the incubator.

20200126_190221.jpg
4 black turkeys moved to the brooder

Back
Top Bottom