Activated OXINE AH smell or raw Oxine AH smell

No of course I will remove the birds, of course. No one should be using that around live birds. But the fact is, Oxine AH without activation does not kill any viruses. For example, lets say you have a pigeon coop, and if one of the bird is infected with PPMV or newcastle disease and you found out about it. By using non activated oxine to clean the birds cage, it does nothing. The activated Oxine basically kills viruses by prevention of protein formation because Oxine (sodium chlorite forms Chlorine dioxide when activated, which is very soluble in water) Chlorine Di Oxide is the one that kills viruses. When non activated there is no chlorine di oxide. It does not interrupt anything on the internal survival of the virus or bacteria. It inhibts them sure, but it does not kill them. In your case, since it slowed down the spread of the pathogens, bird's internal immunity probably helped.

Some people posted that they spray non activated oxine diltued solution on their shoes to be safe, but sadly it does nothing at all.

I used to use it for that purpose, but now, I use Virkon-S, which comes in a tablet concentrate to make one pint in a spray bottle. One reason, really, is that it is cheaper to ship a small bottle of tablets than a gallon jug, weight-wise. I still believe that the non-activated has properties that benefit disease prevention or animal health organizations would not be recommending putting it in the waterers, but for heavy disinfecting after a breakout of disease, even I would activate it to disinfect a coop/barn, if I had any way to remove the birds from it for the cleaning (so far, no contagions here, though).

Ah, I know why I thought you were misting the birds themselves! I read this statement in your first post to say you misted your birds, not your birds' area.
Oh yeah because I live in an apartment in the middle of Downtown Toronto lol there are no coops or houses to have a commercial misting equipment and I am a student. I rescued some pigeons with broken wings sadly I dont have a balcony too. I rescued another pigeon who was a torture victim in the name of dog training, and that pigeon had very tight zip tag tied on both the legs by the "kind" human pretty much about to amputate both his legs. When I got him in, I found out that he has PPMV, which is a mild version of newcastle disease and highly contagious. Which worried me so much cuz the other birds recovered so much and only waiting to be released but the problem is, it is winter now and they have been indoor for over 8 months now. So they are trapped in my place with a highly contagious pigeon. So I wanted to make sure when I go from room to room I dont carry the virus with me from the sick bird to the healthy birds on the other room. Bleach is out of the question, oxine is the only one although I am learning more about the Vikron now. I should probably get it. So when I said misting, I use the spray bottle which covers more ground than mopping it with oxine. I will keep the birds in my truck whenever I mist (spray oxine) and after they dried out, I will bring them back in. Once the weather is better they can go back to their homes, until then I must make sure they don't get infected with PPMV.

Last edited:
Oh yeah because I live in an apartment in the middle of Downtown Toronto lol there are no coops or houses to have a commercial misting equipment and I am a student. I rescued some pigeons with broken wings sadly I dont have a balcony too. I rescued another pigeon who was a torture victim in the name of dog training, and that pigeon had very tight zip tag tied on both the legs by the "kind" human pretty much about to amputate both his legs. When I got him in, I found out that he has PPMV, which is a mild version of newcastle disease and highly contagious. Which worried me so much cuz the other birds recovered so much and only waiting to be released but the problem is, it is winter now and they have been indoor for over 8 months now. So they are trapped in my place with a highly contagious pigeon. So I wanted to make sure when I go from room to room I dont carry the virus with me from the sick bird to the healthy birds on the other room. Bleach is out of the question, oxine is the only one although I am learning more about the Vikron now. I should probably get it. So when I said misting, I use the spray bottle which covers more ground than mopping it with oxine. I will keep the birds in my truck whenever I mist (spray oxine) and after they dried out, I will bring them back in. Once the weather is better they can go back to their homes, until then I must make sure they don't get infected with PPMV.

That makes sense now. That must be a royal pain to deal with! You're a kind person to take care of him, though. When you said "birds", my mind automatically went to chickens, of course, so that's where the misunderstanding came in.

I like the Virkon-S, especially the ease of making up a bottle when I need it. Big commercial chicken houses use it. And on their site, they mentioned misting around with birds in the coop, but I'd have to go back and re-read that part.

Back
Top Bottom