ACV added to water in the summer

Do you still use Apple Cider Vinegar in the hot summer months?

• Total voters

Michael Propst

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
De Soto, KS 66018
I have read many conflicting articles on the use of ACV in the summer. I have been adding ACV to the water since I have had my girls but now reading some articles stating you should not do it in the summer warmer months. Specifically these 2 articles from the Chicken Chic, she specifically mentions high heat in the ranges or 104-107.
So what are your thoughts and practices with ACV if you use it at all. If you do stop use during heat at what temps do you pull it?

Hi. :frow

I bought it but ended up not really using it. So many feeds already have probiotics inside them and if your birds are already healthy I feel it is *mostly* irrelevant. I rather be able to add something when I feel I need it then already giving everything I can (which may not be needed) and then having nothing up my sleeve should I actually face an issue. There is only so much room for gut flora and once they are established... that's it really, unless you got something out of balance or someone with diminished immunity.

If it's just for probiotics... maybe do yogurt instead in the summer.

I try not to give too much credit to online sites... but I think the chicken chick has some of the most valid info out there, and haven't yet seen anything that made me cringe and NEVER want to visit the site again like "fresh eggs daily" has. Anyone with so many readers should not be suggesting it is OK to worm your birds with DE or effective, as Lisa has in one of her articles. GET a fecal float done and pay attention to the science, Lisa! :he

I reviewed the articles you posted, and would tend to agree with them. Seems like solid advice to me. :thumbsup

9 years acv free so far, some were in the very hot desert 110+ at times. I say since acv is a home remedy many like to use... but NOT essential to their health, I would follow the advice to skip it during the excessive heat. Not worth the risk too me. Yes acid is KNOWN to diminish calcium. Seems almost wasteful to me to make it harder to absorb one key nutrient. :confused:

Try to stay cool! :cool:

I was one that went with the flow and added apple cider vinegar when I first got chickens eventually I grew tired of messing with it and stopped using it now. I’m seeing evidence that there’s no reason to use it at all so I’m certainly not going to start again :)

Back
Top Bottom