Adaptation of the "Ultimate Backyard Chicken Coop"

Zerandise

Chirping
Apr 27, 2022
Howdy folks! I really like the Ultimate Backyard Chicken Coop build but needed to change a few things to fit in my local bylaws. I also wanted to build it with the ability to to do deep litter in the future if I chose too and not have to build a new coop. Please keep in mind I took a year of drafting in high school in 1984 so please be gentle with me.

Basically I dropped the coop 16 inches to lower the high but left the nesting box at roughly the hight it was. I figure for 4 hens 2 boxes should do. The rest of the space will be internal coop storage. the nesting boxes are now 10 inches off the floor. the boxes raise up 15 inches. The roost will go at this hight on the other side. That leaves about 12 inches above their heads for the rear and side air vents, if they are open. so venting will be 4" by 6' at the roof line front and back then a removable panel on both the right and left upper sides giving a fair bit more air flow.

I am on Vancouver island in BC. summer rearly gets over 75 and winters are arounf 45. we can spike to the mid 80's for a few days maybe and do get a dusting of snow every couple years. We do get a solid 6 months of rain however. hardly heavy but always a constant mist from fall to spring with wind storms being very common.

Anyway have I missed anything big or stepped over a line I dont know? my 3d drawing is rough but wasnt sure how else to show the nesting area.

Any and all advice is welcome!!

Attachments

• 20220530_151142.jpg
    20220530_151142.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220530_144109.jpg
    20220530_144109.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220530_144116.jpg
    20220530_144116.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220530_144126.jpg
    20220530_144126.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 7
Since I can't tell... is the coop elevated off the ground so the space underneath is usable as run space? If that's the case and the drawing is to scale, how tall is that gap? It looks really short, like 12"?

Nest box dimensions are 12" rising to 16" H, 15" D, but varying widths?

The rise is disable on the side profile. Just over a foot. They will not have access to it. I want it off the gound since it rains so much.i had considered dropping it to the ground and making it a walk in.

Yup flobbed the nest box size. A very easy fix on build day though.

Good eye!

The rise is just over a foot. They will not have access to it. I want it off the gound since it rains so much.i had considered dropping it to the ground and aking it a walk in.

Good eye!

The rise is disable on the side profile. Just over a foot. They will not have access to it. I want it off the gound since it rains so much.i had considered dropping it to the ground and making it a walk in.

Good eye!
Is there a flooding issue or it just gets very wet? My coop is raised to keep it out of ground water (and it turns out, flooding) and sits about 5-6" off the ground, so it's still a walk in but you just need to step up to get in. The coop rests on PT skids on top of concrete blocks, and we have it fenced off with hardware cloth as chicks could easily fit underneath it and get lost.

coopa.jpg

coopc.jpg

It will be sitting on concrete deck blocks. Not flooding really. Just a fairly constant wet. Keeping it up off the ground will help keep it from staying too damp.

It will be sitting on concrete deck blocks. Not flooding really. Just a fairly constant wet. Keeping it up off the ground will help keep it from staying too damp.

Is this the only possible place for the chickens?

Can you improve the drainage of this area to get it dry and keep it dry? Installing French drain, digging ditches, etc?

Constantly wet ground will create unhealthy and odorous conditions.

well i cant change the weather sadly. Everything will be roofed. Like i said it doesnt rain hard just consistently. Is there a reason folks seem to be keyed in on the 12" lift? Is having the coop off the ground some kind of issue i missed?

I dont anticipate an issue with water. if the wood is on the ground the wood gets wet and holds it. Just wanted a little breather room between the ground and the wood is all. That way the underside of the coop stays well ventilated and dry so it last longer.

. Is there a reason folks seem to be keyed in on the 12" lift? Is having the coop off the ground some kind of issue i missed?

12" is big enough for a chicken to crawl under but not really big enough for them to use.

Also, there will certainly come a time when a chicken lays an egg under there or even goes under there to hide after being injured or even to die and you won't be able to get to it.

Is there a flooding issue or it just gets very wet? My coop is raised to keep it out of ground water (and it turns out, flooding) and sits about 5-6" off the ground, so it's still a walk in but you just need to step up to get in. The coop rests on PT skids on top of concrete blocks, and we have it fenced off with hardware cloth as chicks could easily fit underneath it and get lost.

View attachment 3130560
View attachment 3130561
One of my fave set ups. All good advice here. The hardware cloth also keeps out things like rats and snakes.

Back
Top Bottom