Added a fan to a 'still air incubator', now I have a ???

3RaGaNo

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Hi everyone. I'm new around here and I would first just like to thank everyone for how much I have learned since 12/3 when I got my first chickens. 4 laying hens, 6 pullets and a rooster (5 black s-x link and 5 white leghorn mutts, I think). This website is incredible! I could not be incubating if it wasn't for this site.

My boys and I tried making our own incubator, but to no avail, as we could not get the temp to stop fluctuating with less than a 10 degree difference. AUGH! So, my husband bought us a nice still air incubator. (works so much better than our homemade LOL). We have eggs that are due to hatch on January 26th, lockdown for us will be about 10 a.m. on Monday. With all that I had read about incubating, I decided to use the homemade fan in this incubator. Things have been going really well. We placed 31 eggs in the bator originally, after candling we now have 22 (I'm pretty sure we have one with a 'death' ring but we are waiting). We are self-turning 3 times a day(next time I think I'll splurge on the $45.00 egg turner, because I have to keep a close eye on the temp for about 30 minutes after and if I don't it can skyrocket).

Now, finally to my question! If I have been using the fan day 1-18, can I go without the fan for days 19-21? I'm hoping I can b/c otherwise I'll have to 'make something' to cover my fan so the chicks won't run into it.

I'd leave the fan in and figure something out to cover it - if you don't, that's going to dramatically alter your temps, and you could lose your whole hatch.
hmm.png
Good luck to you!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Wonderful. Thank you for your replies.

It was funny how it just dawned on me like yesterday that I would need to do something about that.

How about 'screen'? Like the kind you would use on a window, or would that be too fine for actually getting air through it? I was hoping to be able to just take the fan out and adjust my temps, but I'll go with your opinions. Wouldn't want to hurt the eggs at this point!!!

Thank you Rebel....went to the website and read about it. Makes sense.

Last edited:
Screen it will be.

BRACE YOURSELVES FOR ANOTHER 'NEWBIE' QUESTION: We must leave the digital temperature device in there along with the wire that is attached to thermometer? Should I wrap the long "outside" wire around the thermometer at lockdown? (I warned you)!

Screen would work or a small piece of welded wire fence. Sorta like chicken wire but its small squares. It cuts and bends very easily and you can make a box shape to fit around the fan.

Good luck!

Quote:
If you have a styrofoam bator you can just pressed a small notch in the edge where the pieces meet for the wire to go through. That way the thermometer display is outside the bator and the probe inside. What kind of incubator is it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom