BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
New Post Notifier / "Alert Bar" Overview

Have you ever been typing a reply to a thread and you push submit...and when the page reloads, someone has already answered the question you just answered but you didn't see their post because they hadn't submitted it when you first arrived in the thread? Gah! Yes, we've been annoyed by that too.

We're adding a new feature which will allow you to see any time a new post is added in the thread you're viewing, in addition to giving you quick access to other tools.

As an example, below, you'll see a thread page we've landed on. We're on the 3rd page of the thread (out of 5 pages), and we haven't read all the posts in the thread yet. As soon as a new post is submitted, lo and behold the new post notifier in the bottom right corner. This example shows you a new post has been submitted since you loaded the thread, giving you a total of now 2 unread posts (including the one that was there when we first got here).

The New Post count will take us to the first new post written on the same page of the thread. The Unread count will take us to the first unread post of the thread.

The reply icon will have all the same functionality of the "Post a Reply" button. It will hop you down to the editor, it will execute your multi-quote, etc.

There's also the preferences button which will pop open your preferences dialog:

NOTE: With this feature, we're adding a new user preference seen above for "Show Alert Bar". You can opt in to always show the bar, only at the time of new posts, or never. By default when this feature is enabled and you're setting will be for "Only for new posts".

Then there's the pagination controls. In a multi-page thread, when clicked, you'll get the pagination slider to let you skip from page to page.

And finally, there's the X. Click that, and your alert bar will close and not reappear until the next page load.

In some cases, the new post count and the unread count will be one in the same - the case where you've read everything and you're still on the page when something new is submitted. In these cases, you won't have separate controls for New Posts and Unread, but a consolidated look like this:

We hope you enjoy this new feature!!

Last edited:
High 5.
highfive.gif
Thanks. Very cool. When might this new feature kick in? A couple of weeks?

High 5.
highfive.gif
Thanks. Very cool. When might this new feature kick in? A couple of weeks?

We're not 100% sure, but hopefully sooner than that.

Oh, NO! Something else to learn. I had a hard time figuring out Multi- quote!
lau.gif

This one is easy since it doesn't require that you do anything different. It will just be a tool / feature to use if you want to use it.

Oh, that's a sweet feature. I bet it'll prevent people from wasting tons of time writing redundant replies, which can only be good for them.

Oh I just love this new feature!!! If I am answering a question and someone has posted while I am typing out my answer, I can see what they wrote and relate what I am talking about with them or reword my post if necessary.

Rob I love it!!!
thumbsup.gif

Love it...it has automatically arrived here and it is a wonderful addition...guess it may come up here on this post now I am typing...!!!

Thanks Rob and to everyone that has made this possible!

Back
Top Bottom