Added Wheels to My Chick-N-Barn

hyperslug

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Arlington, TX
I added a foundation and wheels to my Chick-N-Barn.

Here is the foundation upside down before the wheels. Notice the deck bracing. That is pressure treated wood.

29869_goats_chickens_024.jpg

Here is the finished version with pull rope.

29869_goats_chickens_032.jpg

Currently I have 6 pullets in it but will move them to a larger coop and let them free range when they are big enough the hawks won't get them.

I really like not having a floor to clean! I am working on a hanging waterer and feeder so they will move with the coop and not get pooped on or in. Trying to keep the maintenance down! Right now I kick the hens out when I move it and then herd them back in. My neighbors get a kick out of watching me trying to chase the uncooperative birds back into the coop.

I may put some barbed wire on the coop to keep the goats from tearing it up. They know there is food in there.

Jeff

Quote:
Great tractor, but regardless of your chicks' size, the hawks can still get them. Hawks don't differentiate between chicks and/or full-grown chickens, unfortunately
sad.png

Quote:
Great tractor, but regardless of your chicks' size, the hawks can still get them. Hawks don't differentiate between chicks and/or full-grown chickens, unfortunately
sad.png

Our experience has been the hawks get the older slower moving birds. The young ones may be OK because they can move fast but I am not chancing it just yet. Also I would like to think size does matter because I have never seen a hawk go after an ostrich.
big_smile.png
What I mean is I believe a hawk might be put off by a Jersey Giant more so than a bantam, but the red tails won't actually tell me.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom