Adding 2 Pekin drakes to a flock of chickens

Schfam

Chirping
Jun 16, 2022
Hello!

We have a flock of 7 chickens, all hens. We are thinking about adopting 2 Pekin drakes and adding them to our flock. I'm looking for feedback from others who may have a mixed flock like this.

Our chickens have a good sized coop and covered run as well as a 10x10 run with a wire cover to protect them from hawks. Our plan is to make the ducks a separate house on the ground that connects to the chicken run. I'd also like to add a smaller run for the ducks with a kiddie pool in it.

So I'm looking for general feedback on this mix and also have a couple of other more specific questions:

Should the duck feed and water be kept in their run?

How big would you make the house for 2 Pekin?

What substrate would you use for the duck run with the water?

Thank you for your feedback!

-J :)

oh no please do not do that
drakes can (and likely will) injure and/or accidently kill chicken hens by mating them
the proper ratio for drakes to female DUCKS is 1 to 5. yes each drake should have at least 3 and preferable at least 5 girlfriend ducks.
drakes are extremely sexually aggressive animals

if you need to keep your drakes please keep them separated from your chicken hens

you can probably see I am passionate about this because I have seen and heard too many times that chicken hens were killed accidently by drakes

drakes have penises and roosters do not
chicken hens are not able to handle drakes

oh no please do not do that
drakes can (and likely will) injure and/or accidently kill chicken hens by mating them
the proper ratio for drakes to female DUCKS is 1 to 5. yes each drake should have at least 3 and preferable at least 5 girlfriend ducks.
drakes are extremely sexually aggressive animals

if you need to keep your drakes please keep them separated from your chicken hens

you can probably see I am passionate about this because I have seen and heard too many times that chicken hens were killed accidently by drakes

drakes have penises and roosters do not
chicken hens are not able to handle drakes
Thank you for this feedback! The woman at the MSPCA said they would be fine to keep together, and I am having trouble finding info online about this specific combination. I appreciate your response!

We will continue to look for female Pekin. So I'm still looking for some feedback on my other questions from anyone who may see this. Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom