Adding a friend for 2 day old?

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I had to separate one of my chicks as “he” has splay leg and curled toes. We got a band on him now and I’m supplementing B12. He was tossed from the nest after he was born 😞 I’m going to the store and wondering if I should pick up one or two more chicks to be with him in the brooder? I know chickens don’t like to be by himself, but I also don’t want to take any away from the clutch that hatched as the moms are doing really well with them. I’d hate to take them and reintroduce and it goes horribly.

I have homes lined up for them already so if it does go south the ones that would be in the brooder now could stay together. My only concern is he’ll get bullied with having the splay leg. Advice?!

thank you!

I had to separate one of my chicks as “he” has splay leg and curled toes. We got a band on him now and I’m supplementing B12. He was tossed from the nest after he was born 😞 I’m going to the store and wondering if I should pick up one or two more chicks to be with him in the brooder? I know chickens don’t like to be by himself, but I also don’t want to take any away from the clutch that hatched as the moms are doing really well with them. I’d hate to take them and reintroduce and it goes horribly.

I have homes lined up for them already so if it does go south the ones that would be in the brooder now could stay together. My only concern is he’ll get bullied with having the splay leg. Advice?!

thank you!
We have done that, it is best for them to have buddies, they shouldn't pick on him if they are around the same age! We have had one duckling hatch out and we decided to get him two buddies, and they are getting along great together!

Again, they shouldn't pick on each other, so I think it would be great to get the little chook a couple of friends!

I would get the youngest chicks they have to offer and add them to your patient at sleepy time. If you can rig up a "momma heating pad" (MHP) so that night time is a nice dark warm spot, they usually get along much better than under the heating lamp where they're more likely to be active at odd hours of the day and night. If you do rig up an MHP (many many versions of this exist- the key item is a heating pad that stays on 24/7) or use one of the radiant type heat plates (found on Amazon), don't be surprised if the feed store chicks disappear underneath and don't come out until morning- they are often exhausted from the constant lights and activity there.

The curled toes should sort out quickly if you "tape'" the toes or make little shoes for the feet- the sooner this is done the better they will come out. Encourage him to stretch by - with very warm hands!! - cup your hand(s) over his back and press down slightly to imitate being under the hen. He should press back up into your hand and will probably go to stick his head out between your fingers for added cuteness. As he does this, move your hand slightly up so he's using his muscles to stretch upwards as sort of a physical therapy exercise. It's what he would be doing all day every day under the hen.

How old are you’re chicks now?

I have doubts wether adding a chick is the best solution for this baby. A chick should have company in general. But this chick is not ‘normal’ and might be better of alone with humans if he stays crippled. Best thing to do imo is trying to heal him.

If you ad a chick it’s best if it has the same age or just a little bit younger. Not a newborn with a 4 week old.
If you’re flock is not vaccinated and is healthy, you might buy a vaccinated chick with latent Marek at TS. Worst case scenario: the chick can infect you’re entire flock.

Keeping the two separated is probably not a bad idea. But it may be undo able.
What will you do if you’re crippled chick or this new chick turns out to be a rooster. Can you keep him/ them? You can’t keep them together if one is a pullet and the other a cockerel unless the cockerel has not much urge to mate.

We have a young cock who has completely curled toes, and we have had a couple of hens with it as well, and they are just fine!
We couldn’t get the tape and “shoes” to stay on. So right now he just has the tape on for the splay leg because I knew that was most important. I’m happy to hear success stories with the toes!

I would get the youngest chicks they have to offer and add them to your patient at sleepy time. If you can rig up a "momma heating pad" (MHP) so that night time is a nice dark warm spot, they usually get along much better than under the heating lamp where they're more likely to be active at odd hours of the day and night. If you do rig up an MHP (many many versions of this exist- the key item is a heating pad that stays on 24/7) or use one of the radiant type heat plates (found on Amazon), don't be surprised if the feed store chicks disappear underneath and don't come out until morning- they are often exhausted from the constant lights and activity there.

The curled toes should sort out quickly if you "tape'" the toes or make little shoes for the feet- the sooner this is done the better they will come out. Encourage him to stretch by - with very warm hands!! - cup your hand(s) over his back and press down slightly to imitate being under the hen. He should press back up into your hand and will probably go to stick his head out between your fingers for added cuteness. As he does this, move your hand slightly up so he's using his muscles to stretch upwards as sort of a physical therapy exercise. It's what he would be doing all day every day under the hen.
I have a heating mat in there with a stuffed animal and a washcloth over that making a little hut 😅 he likes to go in there!

Thank you for the other advice as well! We tried shoes and struggled. Between the shoes and the brace for the splay leg he couldn’t move and would continue to fall on his face/side not able to get up. Have you heard of placing them in a cup? I read something about that the other day and can’t find it again.

How old are you’re chicks now?

I have doubts wether adding a chick is the best solution for this baby. A chick should have company in general. But this chick is not ‘normal’ and might be better of alone with humans if he stays crippled. Best thing to do imo is trying to heal him.

If you ad a chick it’s best if it has the same age or just a little bit younger. Not a newborn with a 4 week old.
If you’re flock is not vaccinated and is healthy, you might buy a vaccinated chick with latent Marek at TS. Worst case scenario: the chick can infect you’re entire flock.

Keeping the two separated is probably not a bad idea. But it may be undo able.
What will you do if you’re crippled chick or this new chick turns out to be a rooster. Can you keep him/ them? You can’t keep them together if one is a pullet and the other a cockerel unless the cockerel has not much urge to mate.
The chick is 3 days old today! If I were to get more (I didn’t yesterday, don’t want to make any quick decisions) the Roos will be going to the Amish. We have them everywhere around us where we live and they will gladly take them! My flock is vaccinated. Just so many unknowns I suppose and no answers until decisions are made.

I appreciate your input, thank you! 😊

The chick is 3 days old today! If I were to get more (I didn’t yesterday, don’t want to make any quick decisions) the Roos will be going to the Amish. We have them everywhere around us where we live and they will gladly take them! My flock is vaccinated. Just so many unknowns I suppose and no answers until decisions are made.

I appreciate your input, thank you! 😊

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to get a couple more to keep your one chick company. I've mixed up all kinds of ages and done fine, some with a broody hen, some without. When looking for a friend in this situation, getting one that is smaller and that also has another friend (so get 2) -- then your patient doesn't get stuck with all the attention.

Yes- look up "chick chair" or chick sling on this website and you should find a bunch of ideas --- here's a picture of my favorite version, which is not my creation in any way shape or form ... and I've lost track of whose picture it was - so I give them full credit ... just don't remember who it was. =)

1622487951262.png

What did you make the chick shoes out of? I've used the band-aid box as the bottom, and cut off only the sticky part of a band-aid strap for the easiest version. The main thing is the toes are confined to be straight!!

So if you're going to do a chick chair type set up it won't much matter whether it's happy walking on the chick shoes - the main point is they're set straight so they don't curl. Usually 24hrs is all that's needed - I've seen them correct in 12hrs before.

Attachments

• 1622487954299.png
    1622487954299.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom