Adding a pullet...HELP please

well, that is a pretty small set up, I think I would leave her in the dog crate next to coop until you get the run built. It does not look too far from done. A few days in the crate will be fine, really she will have about as much room as the two in your original set up.

Personally, I would keep that little set up, and add a bigger coop to that run, but I know, you have to deal with what you have. The small coop really is only big enough from the point of view of pictures for 3 chicken max, and if you were not increasing the size of the run, I think you would have trouble in that.

Mrs K

I'm worried about a raccoon grabbing her in the dog carrier at night. We only have 3 chickens which includes the newbie.
How can I make that dog carrier more safe before dark. I have about 30 minutes to work with.

I'm worried about a raccoon grabbing her in the dog carrier at night. We only have 3 chickens which includes the newbie.
How can I make that dog carrier more safe before dark. I have about 30 minutes to work with.

If predator is the problem @night is there a way you can put the dog crate in the garage or spare room at night and move her early morning.

If predator is the problem @night is there a way you can put the dog crate in the garage or spare room at night and move her early morning.

I just put her in the garage. I had to have my husband move all his lawn equipment to make space. Now I will be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate all the help and suggestions I can get.

No probs, been there done that when I "surprised" the wife with 10 chicks, and neither of us has clue about chickens.

The Noodle Farm, we had good luck with setting up a little obstacle course in one corner of our smaller coop, so that the smaller new birds had a place to run, and it slowed down the older established birds. we just nailed a few criss-crossed branches across a croner at different heights, might work for you in your smaller space!

If shes in a dog carrier just put it in the coop for the night, let the others see her, let the others out but keep her in the coop tomorrow, try introducing them to her one at a time if theres more she will feel threatened and will either run or fight but if theirs one she won't and will make a calm easy approach and if theres more they will feel they can take her down and kill her

The Noodle Farm, we had good luck with setting up a little obstacle course in one corner of our smaller coop, so that the smaller new birds had a place to run, and it slowed down the older established birds. we just nailed a few criss-crossed branches across a croner at different heights, might work for you in your smaller space!

I will try this tomorrow. Do you have any pictures of what you did. Thanks :)

If shes in a dog carrier just put it in the coop for the night, let the others see her, let the others out but keep her in the coop tomorrow, try introducing them to her one at a time if theres more she will feel threatened and will either run or fight but if theirs one she won't and will make a calm easy approach and if theres more they will feel they can take her down and kill her 

Unfortunately the dog carrier does not fit up in the coop. I put her in the garage for the night. I will try to introduce one at a time like you said. I will totally freak if they hurt her. So crazy the whole pecking order thing. I'm new to owning chickens so I appreciate the advice. Thanks

you should get more hens 3 doesn't work i know from personal experience this is what happens: one hen is dominant one is middle and the other is at the bottom. the dominant and middle will pick on the bottom one and might kill her. the more hens you have the less this will happens

Back
Top Bottom