Adding a pullet...HELP please

The Noodle Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016
I just had to rehome my 3 roosters Saturday. Leaving me with 2 hens. My Dad ended up with 3 roosters and 1 hen. I took his hen home with me today. All of our chickens were together for two weeks when they were babies. They are now 16 weeks old. I have my dads pullet in a dog carrier next to the coop. What do I do at night???? The only safe place she can sleep is in the coop. What do I do...

Even if they were together, they will not remember each other, and the new bird is a stranger and equals danger to the flock. They won't like her.
Adding a single bird is a bit tricky. If they are the same size, it helps. Keep her separated tonight. Tomorrow, let the established flock out, and lock this new one in the coop run so she can explore it safely. Set up some hide outs, some roosts in the run. A board leaned up against the fence, where a bird can get out of sight, but open on each end.

Then... so go with a separate but can see each group. Put the food close to the fence on each side so they get used to eating together. Then depending on how they act, free range out in the yard a bit together, and then coop together.

Mrs K

Even if they were together, they will not remember each other, and the new bird is a stranger and equals danger to the flock. They won't like her.
Adding a single bird is a bit tricky. If they are the same size, it helps. Keep her separated tonight. Tomorrow, let the established flock out, and lock this new one in the coop run so she can explore it safely. Set up some hide outs, some roosts in the run. A board leaned up against the fence, where a bird can get out of sight, but open on each end. 

Then... so go with a separate but can see each group. Put the food close to the fence on each side so they get used to eating together. Then depending on how they act, free range out in the yard a bit together, and then coop together.

Mrs K
This is all wonderful advice. The run is not finished yet and I live in a city that does not allow free range. All I have to work with is a coop and a dog carrier. Where should I put the new girl tonight? I want her to be safe.

Would it be safe to keep her on the bottom part of the coop tonight? I just don't know. I feel I might have bitten of more than I could chew :/ I was trying to do the right thing since she was bunking with three roos who where almost mature. Now I'm scared my hen will hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom