Adding a Rooster

cluckcluckgirl

Queen of the Coop
11 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Tending to my chickens
I have a current flock of 12 chickens (all hens) and 3 ducks (2 females and 1 male). My chickens get along well, but I'd still like a rooster. I want a rooster so that I can have fertilized eggs. From what I've read, Cochins are what seem to be the best breed for this situation. First of all, would a mature rooster (about 6-8 months old) be fine with my chickens and ducks and not hurt anyone? Secondly, would the rooster still mate with the hens even though they have been away from each other since hatching?

I wouldn't worry about mating - bantams have even been known to get on LF despite being more than half the size (doubt the eggs would hatch because they arn't close enough relatet though). Any normal rooster will strut around his stuff without any poblems. As to age if you want chicks now (not reccomendable in winter) then go ahead with a mature one but you would want to find out about his temprament from the previous owner since you don't want him if he's violent. Another option is to get him at about eight weeks old (if you have the space) with a sister and raise them togeather because the reccomended time to tame them is about ten weeks and at eight weeks they won't need a heat lamp. This way you can ensure he's friendly.

There is no problem with having a rooster in with your ducks. There is however an issue with having a drake in with your hens - drakes have "equipment" and hens aren't designed for "equipment" in mating and he can injure/kill your hens if he mates with them.

I also had Ducks and chickens in the same run. I had no idea a drake would take an interest in my laying hens until I caught him chasing them. He quickly became dinner before he could injure any hens. I think it is better to keep ducks separated from chickens, its better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom