Adding A Run To A Wood Shed Coop?

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
First of all, there is no way I am going to build a coop or run for my girls. So, I have spent much time researching chicken coops and saving up my money so I can buy one. I am looking for something sturdy and something that will be big enough for at least 10 chickens.
So, I saved up for one that was on sale, but then it wasn't on sale anymore and now is out of stock. It is a nice one, but I wonder if it will be sturdy. (Rhode Island Homestead XL, put out by chickencoopcompany.com) I am now on a waiting list.
So, I found a nice wood shed at Costco online, that is on sale. I am almost ready to order it but, before I do so, I want to make sure I can add a run to it. There is only 1 door on this wood shed, so, I guess the only place that would make sense would be on the side where the window is. Does anyone know if this can be done? I know the chickens can find their way to the window, and I can put something in there for them to step on to get to the window.
Also, does anyone know where I can find nestboxes to put inside of the shed? I am not able to build them but I can put things into the shed that are already made.
Thanks for all help here.

First of all, there is no way I am going to build a coop or run for my girls. So, I have spent much time researching chicken coops and saving up my money so I can buy one. I am looking for something sturdy and something that will be big enough for at least 10 chickens.
So, I saved up for one that was on sale, but then it wasn't on sale anymore and now is out of stock. It is a nice one, but I wonder if it will be sturdy. (Rhode Island Homestead XL, put out by chickencoopcompany.com) I am now on a waiting list.
So, I found a nice wood shed at Costco online, that is on sale. I am almost ready to order it but, before I do so, I want to make sure I can add a run to it. There is only 1 door on this wood shed, so, I guess the only place that would make sense would be on the side where the window is. Does anyone know if this can be done? I know the chickens can find their way to the window, and I can put something in there for them to step on to get to the window.
Also, does anyone know where I can find nestboxes to put inside of the shed? I am not able to build them but I can put things into the shed that are already made.
A woods shed will require some modification to effectively be a coop: roosts, poop trays or clean out acres below roosts, chicken door, hardware cloth inside (or outside) any windows that open to keep predators and undesirables out, waterproofing the floor, adding best boxes... that's just the things that immediately come to mind. We converted part our shed to a coop and love it, but I was willing and able to do the necessary work. If you are not able (Notice I didn't say willing. Laziness is unacceptable if you expect to keep chickens.) To make the necessary modifications, I would avoid going with a shed - unless, that is, if you purchase a shed that had been converted to a coop by the manufacturer. I have seen such things and am surprised by their functionality

I think I could do the additions to the shed over time. I would just have to find where I could get those things that are needed for the inside of the shed.
-They make prefabricated nest boxes.
-A roost is simple a 2x4 mounted on brackets from the wall or floor. Adding a wide board such add a piece of plywood below the roost is a common method of catching poop for easy cleanup. Their are other ways. This past will require some degree of DIY, but even an old ladder or two will suffice if you wish.
-Linoleum is an easy option for protecting the floor. It's not absolutely necessary, but I would want to protect my investment and ensure it lasts. And you just lay the stuff down, stick it in place and trim the excess... not hard work.

You will be much happier with it from home depot let them know you need a man door on front then anyone including you can let them out that man door or add another door for them 8 x 10 or 10 x 10?

You can use plastic dish pans or similar for nest boxes. Fasten them to the floor with two screws each. For ten hens, three nest boxes will do. Put them against a wall, nice and cozy, but NOT under the roosts!

I haven’t seen the prefab coop that would be big enough for 10 birds. The rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per bird. You’ll want it bigger, If they’ll be confined for deep, long-lasting snow. I put up a fence all around my 10x12’ shed, giving the ladies a generous yard. I didn’t make a special chicken door. They use the sliding barn doors—I just leave them open all day in decent weather. I did have to add vents to the gable ends. I used prefab ones from the diy store and cut the holes with the reciprocating saw. Otherwise it would get damp inside from the birds’ breathing.

I made them a ladder roost of 2x4s. Orient the boards broad side up to prevent frostbite (they sit on their feet.) Here’s a picture:

FDFE9B5C-52ED-44C5-991B-38B5C568C27D.jpeg

I made my own coop and run, and it was a lot of work. So I can understand someone not wanting to build their own. I like the idea of converting a good garden shed into a chicken coop. If you ever stop raising chickens, you still have a nice garden shed.

I think you would have to do some modifications to the garden shed to make it into a coop. As mentioned, you would have to add some roosts. If you have a people door, you probably don't require a pop door, but it would be nice. My chicken run is just 6 foot tall 2x4 welded wire attached to tee-posts. That took me all of 20 minutes to pound the poles into the ground and attach the wire with zip ties. I used one section of a dog kennel with a gate so I could get into the run for maintenance. I have the chickens going into the run from the pop door, not the people door. That way, I can shut the pop door when the chickens are in the run and I can do maintenance in the coop without the chickens running out on me.

I use 3 Dollar Tree plastic dish bins for the nest boxes for my 10 hens. I filled the dish bins with pine shavings and placed a couple fake eggs in each bin. My girls are just starting to lay eggs, but so far I am very happy with the results of the dish bin nest boxes. I put these nest boxes on a rail system to get them up off the ground about 12 inches, but maybe that is not necessary.

Here is a picture of the plastic dish bin nest boxes inside the coop when I first built it. The rail system lets me take out any bin for easy cleaning. There is also an anti-tip board under the bins so the chicken will not tip over in the bin.

20190708_163911.jpg

Here is a picture from the outside access of the coop which I took a few days ago when I got my first egg. You can see the dish bin nest boxes filled with pine shavings and each bin has a couple fake eggs. My first egg is in the middle box along with the 2 fake eggs.

20190903_095102.jpg

I think there are many advantages to converting a garden shed into a coop, but you would have to be willing to make a few modifications which I don't think would be too difficult. The prefab coops they sell at our local farm stores are only big enough for 3-4 chickens, and they are not built to last. I have sturdy garden sheds that are standing strong after 30 years. Best wishes.

Go with the shed, for sure, that coop is way too small for 10 birds.
How big is shed...got a link?

Do you already have these birds?
Do you have any building skills...and tools.... at all?
Do you have a run you want to buy?

Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-6_8-47-58.png

Go with the shed, for sure, that coop is way too small for 10 birds.
How big is shed...got a link?

Do you already have these birds?
Do you have any building skills...and tools.... at all?
Do you have a run you want to buy?

Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1900188
This is the run I want to attach:
RIrun_1024x1024@2x.JPG

This is the wood shed I wanted to buy but now realize when reading the fine print that it cannot be shipped to Florida:
imageService

Back
Top Bottom