Adding Bantam Silkies To My RI Red, Sexlink, Plymouth Barred Flock?

Allagash

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Charlestown, Rhode Island
I've got a small flock of birds. It consists of one RI Red, two Sexlinks, and two Plymouth Barred Rock hens all roughly 11 weeks old. Last weekend I picked up a year old RI Red and another huge white chicken that's also a year old (from the same flock). My question is...can I add a couple of bantam black Silkies that are 4 months old to my flock? As of now, all of the chickens get along fine. Do you think Bantam Silkies will get pecked at? I think Silkies are cool but I want to continue the peace and harmony of my flock.

Thanks!

Whenever you add new chickens, there will be some amount of conflict. The amount depends on how aggressive your current birds are, among other things. After they've had some time to work out the pecking order, everything should be fine. Remember, pecking will occur, but it shouldn't be bad for them. I recommend introducing new birds slowly so that everyone has some time to check each other out. Keep them separated in the house or yard for a bit, or let your new ones out with just a few of your current guys to see how they act (watch them carefully). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom