Adding on to my run?

jaybyrdsfarm

Songster
Apr 25, 2021
Apex NC
So chicken math has struck me.

I started with 5. Now I have 12.

So I want to enlarge my run. I'm thinking of making a second run and then connecting them with a chicken tunnel.

Or would it be better to just make the existing run bigger?

My chickens age between 6 weeks and 15 weeks. No one is laying yet. The coop is plenty big to hold everyone I just want more room in the run for them

Thanks for the advice

Edit to add: My girls and gentlemen get a few hours out to free range but I want them to have plenty of room for them when they are "cooped" up, pun intended

Jaybyrd

Last edited:
So chicken math has struck me.

I started with 5. Now I have 12.

So I want to enlarge my run. I'm thinking of making a second run and then connecting them with a chicken tunnel.

Or would it be better to just make the existing run bigger?

My chickens age between 6 weeks and 15 weeks. No one is laying yet. The coop is plenty big to hold everyone I just want more room in the run for them

Thanks for the advice

Jaybyrd
I would make the existing run larger.
Can you post pictures of your setup?

Some pics of my run
20210712_141022.jpg
20210712_141020.jpg
20210712_141020.jpg
20210712_141014.jpg
20210712_141013.jpg

Attachments

• 20210712_141010.jpg
    20210712_141010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
I would advocate for having a second run you can close off. If you make a second space with a door (tunnel, or just leave a fence between them), then you can have your existing run be a sacrifice area (dirt, no live plants), and then you can open and close access to the second area to keep it green and growing. Having two enclosures has a few other benefits too, like you could put new chicks to introduce into the second area to help with integration, temporarily seperate out a chicken you are selling, etc.

I'd add on -- unless you have a particular reason to want two separated runs (to divide your flock into subflocks?)

It will be easier because you can use the existing supports on the adjoining walls.
No reason to divide, unless chicken math strikes again so I could separate out newbies.

Now to design it.

I'm thinking of not having a roof just putting wire over the top since the other part of the run will have a roof.

Jaybyrd

No reason to divide, unless chicken math strikes again so I could separate out newbies.

Now to design it.

I'm thinking of not having a roof just putting wire over the top since the other part of the run will have a roof.

Jaybyrd

That sounds like a good plan to me.

I like being able to give chickens options -- having the coop, the sheltered run, and the open run would let them freely choose what suited them best at the moment. (I'm always astonished at what kind of awful weather my chickens will roam around in -- even in between the rain bands of last year's hurricanes).

That sounds like a good plan to me.

I like being able to give chickens options -- having the coop, the sheltered run, and the open run would let them freely choose what suited them best at the moment. (I'm always astonished at what kind of awful weather my chickens will roam around in -- even in between the rain bands of last year's hurricanes).
I have one hen that I swear will stand under the leak in the side of the roof when it rains....

Back
Top Bottom