Adding to the flock

Duckmomofnow2

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
I have four pekin ducks that are four weeks old. And I have been interested in getting khaki campbell ducks. I don’t know if my pekins are male or female yet. Should I wait to see what they will be before I get the other ones? What is the rule of thumb when it comes having a right amount of male to female?

The ratio is 1 drake to 4 females and up. If you can accommodate that many.
Drakes can be pretty hard on just a few females with hormones raging.

Are you hearing any quacking or raspy whispers yet?
Yes a couple of them have started 😀 one of them keep nibbling us. Is that okay if we let that duck do that or is that a sign of aggression?

Nibbling can turn to biting so you'll just have to decide which way you want to go. My only niggler and biter is my Muscovy drake who was raised by me so he likes to think of me as one of his girls. I do put treats on my open hand and let them eat out of my hand which I do get a nibble from once in a while.

Nibbling can turn to biting so you'll just have to decide which way you want to go. My only niggler and biter is my Muscovy drake who was raised by me so he likes to think of me as one of his girls. I do put treats on my open hand and let them eat out of my hand which I do get a nibble from once in a while.
I give mine treats as well. This duck takes my whole finger. It was nibbling my wrist and fingers while I was trying to pet the other ducks. I did tell the duck “no” and then pet the duck and it hasn’t tried doing it again

I let my ducks and my son's ducks play nibbly nibbly when they are young. As juveniles, they all like nothing more than to nibble my shoes when I am sitting with them. Most of them have grown out of the habit by their second year. Only one, Daffy, that I hand raised as a rescue bites me now: on my ankles and shins. He isn't attacking me, he is demanding attention, but it still hurts. I avoid his bites by leaving him in his sleeping compartment while I sort out food and water bowls and bedding and beat a fast retreat -- because he follows me -- once I let him out. I do sit and hang out with my ducks every day, and I have recently discovered that if I let Daffy stand on my lap (stand with his butt out, not sit snuggled a I don't want him pooping on me!) He doesn't bite at all. He is back to gently nibbling and preening my hair.

So I vote for letting the little ones play nibbly nibbly and develop friendly with you.

I let my ducks and my son's ducks play nibbly nibbly when they are young. As juveniles, they all like nothing more than to nibble my shoes when I am sitting with them. Most of them have grown out of the habit by their second year. Only one, Daffy, that I hand raised as a rescue bites me now: on my ankles and shins. He isn't attacking me, he is demanding attention, but it still hurts. I avoid his bites by leaving him in his sleeping compartment while I sort out food and water bowls and bedding and beat a fast retreat -- because he follows me -- once I let him out. I do sit and hang out with my ducks every day, and I have recently discovered that if I let Daffy stand on my lap (stand with his butt out, not sit snuggled a I don't want him pooping on me!) He doesn't bite at all. He is back to gently nibbling and preening my hair.

So I vote for letting the little ones play nibbly nibbly and develop friendly with you.
Thank you so much for your help! I definitely will let them do that. I take
The ducks out and play and swim and I just love sitting with them and talking to them. 😀

If you think the nibbling is ok, please stick to ducks 😉 it will be less painful!
Turkey nibbling becomes a big problem when they hit 20-30#
Turkey beaks are sharp!!
Bunnies. Nope on that.
Horses are a story for a different forum.
I don’t often hand feed treats to our critters. Occasionally - just to help them feel comfortable being handled in every different way.
I’m more inclined to scoop them up on occasion (ducks and turkeys a few times a week, bunnies must tolerate being pet and/ or picked up daily before dinner) and just hold them when I don’t need to do anything to them- just so they know that I won’t hurt them when and if I do need to help them w an issue.
If they like scratches, I’m happy to love on them.
If they are stressed, they can go as soon as they are calm.
It helps so very much when someone is hurt, possibly sick, or if it is time to clip wings, file nails, etc.
I’ve had some good chunks taken out of my legs by turkeys that I thought were cute when small. Now they get a firm reprimand if they think pecking is cute as a baby (usually it only takes a strong voice and perhaps a quick but careful picking up, and an eye to eye “conversation” 😂)
They seem to get the tone.
I’ve known too many people who have birds that attack them or someone in their family.... I don’t want my family to be in that position, so perhaps I’m a bit extra cautious on this issue!
Ducks are more docile than many other types of birds, but. I don’t feel like it’s smart to take the chance, personally.

Back
Top Bottom