Adding water to chicken layer feed daily is this ok?

I do.
All I do is keep a container full of fermented Flock Raiser. It's been cooking for well over a year now. I just stir it, dump half of it into a bowl and then add enough dry to get a good consistency and feed this to the flock.
Then I pour more dry into the main ferment container, add water and stir.
It's as simple as that.
exactly what I do. Adding enough fresh dry to the ferment just prior to serving offers variety in texture, which my flock seems to love.

Oh thats great to read. I tend to hover, so leaving the mash for about 2 hours is reasonable. Cold winters here do have me supplementing their feed to up their protein. Adding an occasional scrambled egg to the mash with hot water is a wonderful application. Do you have cold winters? if so, what are some of your winter additions to the mash to help with cold and general comfort for chickens? thank you, just tryin' my best over here! 🙌
🐔☮️
Yes cold winters here. Subzero temps at times. Some folks do warm oatmeal occasionally. I give some "floating fish food " to up their protein level as it is 38% protein. Folks also add blk. oil sunflower seeds too. All of that is a treat only though.
I don't worry about them in winter as much as too hot in summer as they are wearing "down parkas"with their feathers.

Grit for parakeets is too small for chickens.

Grit for chickens should be in this size range:
View attachment 3184073
Went to TSC and purchased some yesterday. Also got a holder for it separate from their food. They went to town on it and got me to wondering. How much is enough? I don't want them filling up on grit and ignoring their food. Or, do you suppose THEY know how much to eat? I wound up taking it out of their brooder just in case. Figured I would put it in there daily for a few minutes.:confused:

Oh wow! Well good luck with that! Cool tip about the electrolytes in the feed. I did that the other day, but seeing they eat it all so quick that i wasnt sure they would be getting too much save a chic electrolytes 🤷‍♀️ Tryin' my best but good to know about the wet feed. So, that essentially is how fermented feed is made but letting it sit to release goodies? Today i washed a chickens butt for the first time. A mini bath i suppose. Poor little darlin' cant reach her behind shes so big!
Your '' chubby " chicken may be getting ready to go broody. I had one like that that I thought was getting obese... But here she was just getting ready to sit on eggs 😂😂❤️

They know how much grit to eat. I have no idea how they know, but somehow, they figure it out. Most people leave grit out 24/7 and find that its level in the cup, dish, bowl, whatever goes down very slowly (unless they spill it!).

I was taught that when introducing grit to chicks to sprinkle it lightly as if salting their food and then gradually allow them full access.

Some people offer fermented feed everyday.
Our four hens get fermented mash every day, warmed in the winter. Right now, being summer, they get a handful of blueberries on top. They love it, and push each other out of the way to get at it. They also have 24/7 access to layer pellets, but since I started the fermented feed, they seem to prefer that to pellets.

Back
Top Bottom