Adopting a 4 year old Jack Russel Terrier today... what am I in for?

I posted before I have one almost 16 years. Mine became an obedience wonder! It really is possible with them but ONLY if they think its in their interest and can burn off that kinetic energy!

True to their breed Jack Russel Terriers (and Parsons) need reward training (food or toy) to try to get their focus so you can even start to begin training. Eventually you can get them to work for praise with occasional treats or playtime. You also must give CLEAR instructions with what you want them to do (this is essential in many dogs).

To start, let him run, run, run! Throw a ball, Frisbee, or a "bouncy" dog toy if you have one (creativity is the key). We need him to slow down his reaction time and not snap at folks. Once focus is gotten you can show him you are really the greatest person alive! It is OK to talk softly and try to make him not worry about his new home as he is stressed and anxious--it will not make him do it more (See Dr. Patricia McConnell's behavior books). Respect out of love is more solid then fear based method used by a popular trainer.

Start with getting him to look at you--simple stuff and when he does praise him and quickly give him a treat (of if not food motivated a small squeaky toy)! Another wonderful method is clicker training--used on all mammals and birds (chickens respond really well to it!). You can find lots of information on the Internet about it.

Relax, initially move slowly and always talk softly for now. Don't yell "NO!" every second. He needs to hear "good boy!" so give him easy things you can praise for--even if its just a quick look at you when you talk to him. Tone of voice is important so sound like you mean what you are saying.

I absolutely adore these amazing terriers but they are definitely not for everyone. They often need an owner who is lightening fast in their response to effectively train them. They are incredibly cute and so many folks bought them and it was a bad match. Backyard breeding began and that's why so many are in rescue. Old story about many breeds, sigh.

Quote:
Well, I always liked their look, but I'm starting to wonder about the personality. Im still hoping some strick (not violent... before anyone starts... the two words have different definitions) obidience might do the trick. I'm still very worried in the meantime.

No matter what the breed is, you just took this adult dog out of an environment he has known all his life, his first reaction is defense. Give him some time to adjust, give him attention, show him that life with you is not a bad thing. All dogs, JRT or other breeds have different personalities. Each of my 4 JRT's have different personalities. He is scared and confused at this point, his whole world has been turned upside down. Obedience is great with JR's but please keep in mind he is confused as to why he is in a strange place.

I can certainly agree with that. The dog is practically middle-aged and out of his element. Hope he calms down for you. I still don't like the breed, but I can understand why he'd be acting up.

I've got a JRT and she is a confirmed chicken killer, rat killer, snake killer, and she once tried to eat the UPS man... problem was he thought she was lickin his boots
wink.png
Don't let the pup around yer chooks. My JRT is almost 11 or 12 and still can jump 6' straight up in the air.....
hide.gif

We have a JRT who utterly ignored the birds from the first day he met them (my black east indies duck hen was a big fan of trying to eat his tail), and now won't go anywhere near them because my bantam cochin roo has bitten him in the butt a few times. He wasn't doing anything but sitting/standing next to me at the time... meany pants rooster.
tongue.png

d'Artagnan ("d'Art") is a 2-3 yr old fixed male and is the most respectful dog I've ever known, and is amazingly smart. I joke that he's a Cavalier King Charles spaniel in a JRT body, because I know this is not even close to average for his breed! My cat even likes him, and she was attacked when she was younger and thus has always been very skeptical of dogs.

d'Art with the chickens last winter
29868_img_1521.jpg

d'Art and Tess
29868_img_1432.jpg

I hope you have good Luck with it.My neighbor's Gf's jack was killing our duck's a few year's ago.Someone dropped one here about a year later.Didn't have a problem with as far as bird's but the dog was just crazy trying to get in the house terrorized my poodle trying to mate with him and my dog is fixed.They are cute dog's but very hyper and I would never get one here for Us with the livestock.let us know how it goes.We are still debating a dog another one.I take a lot in and have rehomed many in good home's.My oldest daughter has this adorable long haired dachsund mix she is wanting to place.They have brought him up a few time's and he seem's to get slong with the kittie's my poodle but we have full time 2yr old grandson and the bird's too soo I dunno Im not jumping on it.I go to their house and he is such a needy love hound I so would love to have him.But I have to think about the other issue's too.

Here is another update:

He has been calming down more and more each day. He hasn't snarled or bit us anymore, but on day 2 he did snarl at the cat. I immediately (as I do with my boxers) took three fingers and firmly touched his neck and simultainiously saying "shhhh". He stopped and it hasn't happened again. Matter of fact, just today he was cuddled up with the same cat sleeping in the shade. (and he was reported to me to be a cat chaser!)

As far as chickens go. He still hasn't looked at them. I walked him today down in "chicken land" (the part of my yard that is chicken only... no one else allowed). He was on a leash (which he didn't know how to walk on at first, but he is "getting it" slowly with some gentle guidance) and he never looked at them as I walked him by each coop and pen. The Delawares were the ones free ranging at the time so they were walking around him and still he didn't look. Of course, my rooster is twice as tall as him. lol. Now, the ducks... he did look at them with that preditor look and I did the same. I quickly touched his neck and said "shhhh". Then I walked him around the ducks a few times and he didn't look at them again. The goats scared the patootie out of him, but he scared them too so we'll have to work on that.

All in all he is getting better. He is kinda' wanting to play, but he hasn't wanted to run or jump or really chew anything up yet. He does show ALOT of effection to us now, so that is good.

I know he was just scared. I have had dogs all my life. He was hand shy and fearful of the leash. Thank God he is smart and a quick learner... seems he is learning fast that we aren't going to hit him for doing the wrong thing. I'm a firm believer in guiding, not beating. When he does something right he gets praised.

back to the chickens, though. I would trust him before my boxers at this point... well, maybe just the one boxer. The other is pretty darn good.

I will start slowly socializing him so that I will not overwelm him all at once. My pups are always socialized ALOT. Every free moment I have I would walk and talk to people. Take them in all sorts of situations and enviorments..... this JRT... never has been anywhere but his farm and the vet. We'll get him there. It's a process.

Last edited:
My son has a JRT, and we love her, but I won't let her near my chickens. When my son visits, we have to watch the dog around the chicken pen because she gets them upset by running circles around the fence. My neighbor's free-range JRT would hunt down Gopher Tortoises and chew their heads off after chewing away the upper portion of their shells... an amazing feat. JRT's are hunters by nature, and anything small is fair game. If you do take this one and give it a good home, that's great; they're great dogs, highly intelligent and very fast learners, affectionate, and very loyal. Just keep it on a short leash...

Back
Top Bottom