Adopting a beagle / Dotson puppy and concerned about interaction with my chickens

trying to interact through a fence can lead to frustration and aggression. Personally, I find it much easier to teach the dogs to ignore the chickens from the beginning. Once the dog is reliably not wanting to chase, then I let them calmly be in the same area. It's very important to not allow excitement and frustration in the beginning so that the urge to chase doesn't become habit

We decided against the beagle as the adoption agency was taking a while and in the meantime we found the cutest puppy that needed a home, we were told is a lab/ great pyranees. He is adorable but honestly I see no pyranees in him. Thanks for all your help!

To me he honestly looks more like a Lab/Border Collie or Australian Shepherd! But I guess you'll find out! I would say be prepared for both in case he turns out huge and lazy or in case he turns into a really smart energetic dog LOL

But he is ADORABLE

He is cute and I think you're right about the border collie mix he's been really good with the chickens so far he has shown some interest, he just looks at them. I've had him on a leash while the chickens roamed the yard and he was alert at first But eventually just sat down and stared. I also had to bring in the sultan too for "hospitalization" last week and he did really well he went to the cage several times to check it out obviously didn't leave by himself. It's pretty out today and we are all in the yard,

Wow sounds like he is a great puppy and you made a great find!

Either way, whether he is mixed with Pyrenees or Border Collie he should be great with the chickens.

Ya, I think he doesn't look lab either! But definitely cute!
love.gif
Agreed Border Collie mix.

Our shelter here is requiring all pets in your home be spayed or neutered before letting you adopt one of theirs. It's nice that they are trying tom make sure people are responsible... but spaying is pricey and now they have to wait so long... like you say, people will go elsewhere.
he.gif

Beagles love to howl, your neighbors might not have appreciated that long term, or you might not have even.

Everything happens for a reason! Chances are, this is the pup that was meant for you.
wink.png
What is his name?

Now that you mention it, you're right, he doesn't look that labby either. Although it's still possible he is because a lot of Lab/BC mixes don't look like Labs. Although the vast majority of the ones I've seen have been black and white which makes me wonder. Definitely look more Border Collie than anything. But oh well, no matter what breed he is, he is adorable lol

And wow that is ridiculous! Especially because there are plenty of responsible people with intact dogs. And of course they don't make exceptions :/ I get the majority of the public/the average Joe isn't responsible but what about people who show their dogs and they HAVE to be in tact but they want to rescue one? Or if the dog has a medical condition and can't be fixed. Or if they want to keep them intact cause it's healthier or they're waiting till a certain age. It's ridiculous.

And most places you have to have a fenced yard now too and they ask a million questions.

I don't know, I know shelters and rescues are just trying to help dogs but sometimes I wonder if that is REALLY their goal or if they just want control or money or what have you. Because if your rules are too strict and somebody goes and buys a puppy doesn't that go against everything they stand for? And then if that dog winds up in a shelter later that's yet ANOTHER dog there instead of one less.

And then there's the fact that somebody could be a terrible dog owner but they get the dog because their yard is fenced. Why should they get the dog based solely on the yard factor when someone without a yard is the better match?

Sorry for the rant hahaha just makes me a little mad

And i agree! This pup seems like he was meant for you

Looks Choco lab to me....I've got a Choco Lab/BC mix and this pup looks similar but with more white markings, a little longer hair. Should be an interesting mix if it has any GP in it, though I don't see it there. My Lab/BC dog has been an excellent chicken dog, completely trustworthy since the first time he was trained on them as a pup...he's 10 now....VERY smart dogs, so should be easy to train on the birds.

Back
Top Bottom