Adopting Chickens from Animal Shelters

Hey did you guys know that there is a website (Adopt a Bird Network) you can go to which provides listings for the different chickens and ducks who are in animal shelters around the US? They also do daily posts in their Instagram and Facebook about them too. It is worth checking out---an alternative to incubating and feed store chicks.
Thanks I'm going to check them out! Had no idea you could adopt chickens!

Our shelter has them occasionally but the adoption fee they ask is too high and paper work/interview process makes it a poor alternative to all other ways to iquire chickens. IMO
Craigslist is still the go to here for older birds.

My oldest girl does animal rescue, she has brought a few roosters this way. Like a very big nice Black australorp, they gave him to me cage and all. "he's mean". I put him with some old near worn out hens and he went to protecting them, and I never seen a mean streak in him. Hungry yes he was! Before this one they wanted $5 if I kept the cage,,,which I dont need,,
Just because the city says you can have a rooster,, it does not mean you can, well you can until they crow,,,,

Ours wanted $20 for roosters (no cage) when CL has them for free to small fee.
Our closest shelter has granite/marble looking lobby with exotic woodwork everywhere.
Fancy image to hold onto instead of putting money into what the animals need most.
Shelters are like everything else. There's good and bad ones.

Back
Top Bottom