Adopting ex battery hens

I was researching battery hen rescue about a month ago. There are a number of egg farms in central Ohio and I imagine quite a large number of hens that could use good forever homes.

I understand why egg farms need to purge their stock every year or so after peak production is over, but can you imagine if an egg farm had an adoption program for their "used" hens? That would be some pretty good marketing material!

One more dream, to start a battery hen rescue program.

It is interesting that it is so big in the UK, but you don't really hear a thing about it here in the states.

Kendra

There is a market for "fowls," so they are economically viable even after laying has dropped to uneconomical levels. In other words, adoptions are few for quality ex-layers because they are still worth money.

"Fowls," is a general term for any chicken not otherwise labeled. One used to be able to buy them for human consumption, normally culls and lesser grade birds not fit for other use, but that market has been supplanted by the fryer/broiler industry.

Battery hens fall into the fowl category nowadays, and so end up in things like Campbells Noodle soup, catfood or other such nondescript places.

Still a noble end, in itself, when you consider. Everything lives, fulfills it's role and then has to die; so why not do so in one final service?

They should try to send/sell them to some horse farms.....since I've had chickens I have not had to use the "apple picker" that often if at all.....that would be a great service for anyone with horses, that's the main reason I got my chickens, then their cute intertaining ways made me an addict...
big_smile.png
, and my chickens are happy. They see a tail go up and it's the same as a dinner bell, LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for eveyone's input!!!
I am active in dog rescue in my area and also foster for one of the local shelters.
But noone knows anything about battery hens!
I don't even know if there are any egg farms around my area anymore!
About a year ago I think a semi transporting chickens overturned on a local hwy and caught fire.
Alot of chickens escaped, but some didn't make it.
I never heard what happened to the survivors or where their destination was.
I will continue to search though and one day hope to save a few unfortunate hens!

Tis true, battery hen rescue is big here amongst chicken keepers. The Battery Hen Welfare Trust is the charity that tends to co-ordinate it all, and I have heard that they have trouble keeping up with demand. This is probably mainly due to publicity in magazines, particularly Practical Poultry. The going rate for an ex-battery hen seems to be about 50p ($1), and they will often go on laying for years!

You might be able to google and find some egg suppliers (although some battery egg farms are probably going to be cagey (pun not intended) about their location due to animal rights nutters.

Quote:
There are a lot of race horse farms here in FL, hundreds....and I have about 100 chickens????well, seramas and polish don't count right, and only 4 horses. They do a great job of leveling the poo...
lol.png

Wow the UPC link hasn't been removed, always seems to get removed if I post it LoL
lol.png

Maco, did you check into that link I posted, you can call any close to you and ask them if there are others you might be able to contact since alot of ppl don't post the location of their 'farm' on the internet, no reason too for the most part. There is one about 40 mins from me I had no idea existed until a broiler 'farm' caretaker told me about it.

Quote:
I agree. It would be impossible for anyone to "rescue" each and every one of these hens. And I enjoy a good bowl of Campbell's Chicken Noodle.

Read the label on almost ANY pet food. #1 ingredient is usually corn, #2 Chicken.
Its not like they're dumped in a landfill to rot.

Back
Top Bottom