whats your prefered method of dispatching sick or injured pet hens?

mumma g

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
Hello :) I have lots of grandchickens among other pets :) We've sadly lost a few pet hens this year mostly due to follicle masses (rescued ex battery's) and it's cost a fortune in vet fees to euthanise them. We have decided that we should dispatch them ourseves if our vet thinks there is no hope on recovery. We've been watching videos on different methods and we are undecided, so which is your prefered method?
Just to add that we are lucky enough to have a vet is an exotic pet vet, UK equ to an avian vet who is very clued up on chickens :)

There are so many methods out there. Ultimately it’s going to come down to the method you feel most comfortable with. Any one of them could be “someone else’s” ideal, but if it’s not something you can do confidently it won’t be best for the bird.

That said, the broomstick method and asphyxiation with dry ice are two of the more popular methods. Although, a broom is less expensive than dry ice.

There are so many methods out there. Ultimately it’s going to come down to the method you feel most comfortable with. Any one of them could be “someone else’s” ideal, but if it’s not something you can do confidently it won’t be best for the bird.

That said, the broomstick method and asphyxiation with dry ice are two of the more popular methods. Although, a broom is less expensive than dry ice.
Thank you, never heard of the dry ice, I'll research it, Thank you :)

I use the broomstick method (cervical dislocation) I like it because it is one of the most humane ways, (I think CD is one of the only legal methods in the UK? could be wrong though) and there is no blood when done correctly.

I use the broomstick method (cervical dislocation) I like it because it is one of the most humane ways, (I think CD is one of the only legal methods in the UK? could be wrong though) and there is no blood when done correctly.
Thank you! :)

so which is your prefered method?
It's never an easy choice, but it's good to have the option when one of your chicken friends is suffering. :hugs

Broom stick cervical dislocation.. but takes some practice.

Tree loppers to cut the head of.

Flopping and flapping will most likely occur regardless of which (of these) method is used.. They won't simply take their last breath.. as my other veterinarian euthanized pets have.

Back
Top Bottom