Adult ducks nibbling pine shavings

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
I've seen some discussion about ducklings eating pine shavings, but not full-grown adult ducks. I've got some ducks inside because it's really cold right now and one of them is sick/recovering from some health issues, and she has had problems eating. Today she's been nibbling at some pine shavings in addition to nibbling at some mushy duck pellets and oyster shells. Should I be concerned at all with the pine shavings? I'm sort of assuming that it might work a little like grit for them but can't be entirely sure.

I've seen some discussion about ducklings eating pine shavings, but not full-grown adult ducks. I've got some ducks inside because it's really cold right now and one of them is sick/recovering from some health issues, and she has had problems eating. Today she's been nibbling at some pine shavings in addition to nibbling at some mushy duck pellets and oyster shells. Should I be concerned at all with the pine shavings? I'm sort of assuming that it might work a little like grit for them but can't be entirely sure.
Dies she have some grit in there with her? not in her food but close by?

I would since she doesn't have access to the outside right now. That way if she did eat a few shaving she'd have the grit to break it up. And she may have been looking for something like that since she's been inside. Noodling in the shavings.
Plus your offering her food besides her reg feed which means she needs grit.

Last edited:
Mine forage through the shavings looking for bugs so I now toss larvae in to reward them for going to bed. They also filter shavings in the water like they would mud. So far no issues after a year.

I just remembered I saw my flock eating a rotting log, so wood seems a natural part of the diet. The were fighting over the moss but when that was gone they were eating the wood itself.

Back
Top Bottom