Adventure Ducks: month five

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melissamerry, Nov 21, 2012.

1. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    So the cuties are 5 months old this week! Finn finally got his drake feathers [​IMG]and I thought I'd share some pictures to celebrate!

[​IMG]
    W
    e went for a walk down the beach; they had to stop and show off to every peson that we met.

[​IMG]
    T
    reeTrunks thinks she's a pumpkin...

[​IMG]
    And Jake eating my eggplant!!!

[​IMG]

A
    nd thanks for everyone who suggested I clip their wings! I did and I feel they are safer than ever whenever we got out. No more flying and getting stuck in trees and bushes!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    love your pictures and stories. The pots in the last picture are they for rain water or plants? Would love to see a bigger shot of them.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    What fantastic photos!! The ducks are beautiful!!! Great job with them!!!

4. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    The pots have plants in them. I'm growing strawberries, bell peppers, eggplant, lettuce, rosemary, thyme and basil.
    I only have a small patio for a backyard so space is limited. I decided to plant up instead of around.
    p[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    Thanks so much. They're my little babies. I can't wait to get more.

6. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    Here's a better one Celtic.
    h[​IMG]

7. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Gorgeous pictures!!!! those are some beautiful ducks you have [​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Super cute!
    (My little person was Finn for Halloween!)

10. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    I haven't pics at the moment since I'm at my parents house for the next few days, but as soon as I get home I'll gladly share.

My younger sister has silkie chickens and one weekend when I visited I drove her to the feed store to buy some scratch. Inside they had a pen full of chicks who were picking on 3 ducklings. I instantly fell in love and took them home, not knowing anything about ducks. They ended up being 2 weeks old. Luckily I found this site and read through hundreds of forums. I think the ducks are quite set for now.

Since I'm a college kid I live in a one bedroom apartment with a tiny patio for the time being. The ducks get to roam the house
    with their diapers on when I'm at school or work. When I or my room mate is home, the patio door is open and the ducks enjoy
    the sunshine. They have a a kiddie pool with daily fresh water and lots of mud to play in.

Since they are such PIGS when it comes to eating, I set up a rubbermaid bin feeding station.
    I stole this picture from the internet, but it looks like this, minus the bunny and it has a lower opening.
    This way its easy to hose out every couple of days and my carpet says clean!
    [​IMG]

T
    hey sleep in a box at night, this way they don't have to wear their diapers. As soon as the light go off, they know its bedtime.
    The only mess I'm constantly dealing with is vacuuming up their feathers, which honestly, is not bad at all.

I hope this helps a bit! I love em and couldn't imagine a life without them right now. My mom jokes that I'm never giving her grandchildren now, just
    baby ducks. Yes, they are messy, but I think they are worth it. Such little characters too.

I would love to hatch some! When I graduate this year and move on to a bigger place, I'd like to get more and try my hand at hatching some.
    I'm pretty sure ALL of my post graduation plans changed because of these little guys. Such cuties.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by