Adventure Ducks: month five

melissamerry

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Goleta, California
So the cuties are 5 months old this week! Finn finally got his drake feathers
woot.gif
and I thought I'd share some pictures to celebrate!

W
e went for a walk down the beach; they had to stop and show off to every peson that we met.

T
reeTrunks thinks she's a pumpkin...

And Jake eating my eggplant!!!

A
nd thanks for everyone who suggested I clip their wings! I did and I feel they are safer than ever whenever we got out. No more flying and getting stuck in trees and bushes!

The pots have plants in them. I'm growing strawberries, bell peppers, eggplant, lettuce, rosemary, thyme and basil.
I only have a small patio for a backyard so space is limited. I decided to plant up instead of around.
p

Do you have pics of the set up you have for them? I want to get some but not sure because of the mess? I want to hatch some. did u buy ducklings or hatch?

Thanks for sharing!! Happy Thanksgiving!

I haven't pics at the moment since I'm at my parents house for the next few days, but as soon as I get home I'll gladly share.

My younger sister has silkie chickens and one weekend when I visited I drove her to the feed store to buy some scratch. Inside they had a pen full of chicks who were picking on 3 ducklings. I instantly fell in love and took them home, not knowing anything about ducks. They ended up being 2 weeks old. Luckily I found this site and read through hundreds of forums. I think the ducks are quite set for now.

Since I'm a college kid I live in a one bedroom apartment with a tiny patio for the time being. The ducks get to roam the house
with their diapers on when I'm at school or work. When I or my room mate is home, the patio door is open and the ducks enjoy
the sunshine. They have a a kiddie pool with daily fresh water and lots of mud to play in.

Since they are such PIGS when it comes to eating, I set up a rubbermaid bin feeding station.
I stole this picture from the internet, but it looks like this, minus the bunny and it has a lower opening.
This way its easy to hose out every couple of days and my carpet says clean!

T
hey sleep in a box at night, this way they don't have to wear their diapers. As soon as the light go off, they know its bedtime.
The only mess I'm constantly dealing with is vacuuming up their feathers, which honestly, is not bad at all.

I hope this helps a bit! I love em and couldn't imagine a life without them right now. My mom jokes that I'm never giving her grandchildren now, just
baby ducks. Yes, they are messy, but I think they are worth it. Such little characters too.

I would love to hatch some! When I graduate this year and move on to a bigger place, I'd like to get more and try my hand at hatching some.
I'm pretty sure ALL of my post graduation plans changed because of these little guys. Such cuties.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom