Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

I have a question for those who have incubated with the hand-turning method (which is what I did for years):
Have you noticed that there is a point at which the eggs feel 'heavier'? They seem to be weighted toward a certain side, and will roll back into a certain position? I think that it's about Day 6 or 7 when that happens, does that sound right?

With this batch of shipped eggs, they felt heavy on Day 2. I'm thinking this means they started developing in the warm weather in transit, and my hatch might be early. Thoughts?

I have a question for those who have incubated with the hand-turning method (which is what I did for years):
Have you noticed that there is a point at which the eggs feel 'heavier'? They seem to be weighted toward a certain side, and will roll back into a certain position? I think that it's about Day 6 or 7 when that happens, does that sound right?

With this batch of shipped eggs, they felt heavy on Day 2. I'm thinking this means they started developing in the warm weather in transit, and my hatch might be early. Thoughts?

I have noticed that some of them keep wanting to roll one way or the other - it's not something I've seen until after halfway through incubation, though. However, I used a textured base, so that would stop much inclination to roll earlier. This time, with the LF eggs instead of Serama, I REALLY noticed temperature differences. After about day ten, there was enough of a temperature difference between the developing eggs and one that had quit right around day ten that the quitter felt seriously 'off'. Enough so that I candled it specifically, and was able to confirm that the blood vessels had all died back. The others all felt noticeably warmer and more... well, solid, just while turning them. Opening the quitter confirmed that it had died - right about the time I first noticed a difference in it. I saw no reason for it to fail while the others were doing well, but two of the three eggs that have died were the largest in the bunch at sixty nine grams each at setting. The third was the second smallest, at forty eight grams.

I've read that a hen can identify an egg that has quit by the temperature, and will frequently evict it from the nest. I always found that questionable. Not any more. I mean... all the eggs are being warmed equally, right? But once the embryo starts producing heat, there IS a difference.

I am super excited I finally got to set my 23 shipped Welsh Harlequin eggs tonight in my new DYI incubator with incukit system. Plus my friend brought me over another 10, one some how cracked along the way though. So that makes a shipped 23, and local 9 eggs (5 Cayuga, 4 Rouen) for a respectable 32 eggs in the maiden voyage of this incubator. 28 days from now I am hoping that I will get to see ducklings.

All my shipped eggs are rested. But I did realize that the last two days for my first shipped set in the incubator I had them in the temp was lower than I thought it was. I am hoping that there is still a chance these ones can still hatch now that they have a stable temp. Please tell me that I haven't destroyed this set?

I have noticed that some of them keep wanting to roll one way or the other - it's not something I've seen until after halfway through incubation, though. However, I used a textured base, so that would stop much inclination to roll earlier. This time, with the LF eggs instead of Serama, I REALLY noticed temperature differences. After about day ten, there was enough of a temperature difference between the developing eggs and one that had quit right around day ten that the quitter felt seriously 'off'. Enough so that I candled it specifically, and was able to confirm that the blood vessels had all died back. The others all felt noticeably warmer and more... well, solid, just while turning them. Opening the quitter confirmed that it had died - right about the time I first noticed a difference in it. I saw no reason for it to fail while the others were doing well, but two of the three eggs that have died were the largest in the bunch at sixty nine grams each at setting. The third was the second smallest, at forty eight grams.

I've read that a hen can identify an egg that has quit by the temperature, and will frequently evict it from the nest. I always found that questionable. Not any more. I mean... all the eggs are being warmed equally, right? But once the embryo starts producing heat, there IS a difference.
Thank you, @Zinjifrah - that is fascinating! I learn so much from what we share here, at least as much as from monitoring my own hatchings. Thanks @Morrigan for starting this excellent thread, which still has momentum.

Yesterday was Day 21 for my viable cochin eggs. I just candled and one appears to be trying to pip internally in the correct position, but I am TERRIFIED because the other chick is almost certainly malpositioned! Candling shows MOVEMENT at the SMALL END! Membranes are intact, but when this guy punctures the small end he will drown in excess albumin?!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday was Day 21 for my viable cochin eggs. I just candled and one appears to be trying to pip internally in the correct position, but I am TERRIFIED because the other chick is almost certainly malpositioned! Candling shows MOVEMENT at the SMALL END! Membranes are intact, but when this guy punctures the small end he will drown in excess albumin?!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!
@Cerise1924 -- You had some pipped at the small end. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom