Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Last hatch, I started turning one batch as soon as I set them (after the resting period ourside the incubator). With the other batch, I waited four days. The eggs that I started turning on Day One of incubation fared better.

Thanks for the question @Knighstar679 and for the answers, BYC pals. I think I'll go start my turner. It's been 36 hours since I set the eggs, and I think that's good.

Last hatch, I started turning one batch as soon as I set them (after the resting period ourside the incubator). With the other batch, I waited four days. The eggs that I started turning on Day One of incubation fared better.

Thanks for the question @Knighstar679 and for the answers, BYC pals. I think I'll go start my turner. It's been 36 hours since I set the eggs, and I think that's good.

My eggs from Maryland arrived today the all had air sacs, no cracks. I have three with saddle or egg shaped air sacs. Is this likely to change and become better when settled or is that just the way it will be?

Just set 14 Coturnix quail. This will be my second time incubating shipped eggs, and I'm feeling much more confident about it this time. Here's hoping they all develop!
Yay coturnix! I have some in the incubator now, lockdown should be this weekend. My own eggs, plus eggs from Myshire Farms. I don't know if they count as shipped, since I picked them up in Ohio and flew back to CA. I haven't candled yet; I'm not thinking it will be a spectacular hatch. I waited well over a week before I was able to set the eggs, it's a brand new diy incubator, and half of my eggs are from the pen that lost my favorite rooster when I was gone so I'm not sure the eggs were even still fertile. I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Yay coturnix! I have some in the incubator now, lockdown should be this weekend. My own eggs, plus eggs from Myshire Farms. I don't know if they count as shipped, since I picked them up in Ohio and flew back to CA. I haven't candled yet; I'm not thinking it will be a spectacular hatch. I waited well over a week before I was able to set the eggs, it's a brand new diy incubator, and half of my eggs are from the pen that lost my favorite rooster when I was gone so I'm not sure the eggs were even still fertile. I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Hope your hatch comes out. I will be setting me eggs in my do my new DIY incubator tomorrow. I will be setting 23 shipped eggs. 9 from Texas and 14 from Maryland. I am super excited to start this as my first real set. And hopefully in 29 days I will have Welsh Harlequin ducklings

Hello I'm getting shipped eggs Saturday- sunday. I'm using my broody hen any advice?

Have you hatched with a broody before? Where is she going to be sitting with the eggs? It's best if her nest is somewhere where other hens can't butt into to add their eggs to the clutch and disrupt the broody. There are various ways of doing this, but you may have that part already figured out.

As far as using shipped eggs? The only thing I say is that you are probably going to want to candle the eggs a couple of times -- day 7 and 14/15 -- as with shipped eggs there is a greater chance that some may not develop and you are going to want to remove duds from under her, lest they become rotten.

My eggs from Maryland arrived today the all had air sacs, no cracks. I have three with saddle or egg shaped air sacs. Is this likely to change and become better when settled or is that just the way it will be?

I wondered the same thing myself. I would hope some settling occurs, but I know for a fact, that not all of mine did. I had at least two saddled air sacs in the 6 eggs that made it to lock-down. I think it is just something you have to live with, in using shipped eggs.

Have you hatched with a broody before? Where is she going to be sitting with the eggs? It's best if her nest is somewhere where other hens can't butt into to add their eggs to the clutch and disrupt the broody. There are various ways of doing this, but you may have that part already figured out.

As far as using shipped eggs? The only thing I say is that you are probably going to want to candle the eggs a couple of times -- day 7 and 14/15 -- as with shipped eggs there is a greater chance that some may not develop and you are going to want to remove duds from under her, lest they become rotten.

I wondered the same thing myself. I would hope some settling occurs, but I know for a fact, that not all of mine did. I had at least two saddled air sacs in the 6 eggs that made it to lock-down. I think it is just something you have to live with, in using shipped eggs.
I ordered 6 should I order more just in case?

Thanks for the information. I will look at their air sacs before putting them in my new incubator.

Back
Top Bottom